Stop Talking. Start Understanding.

Stop Talking. Start Understanding.

We must stop destroying happiness whenever we see it.

12
Stop Talking. Start Understanding.
Huffington Post

I’ve always had a stone in my shoe when it comes to people passing judgement over others because “what they do is not the same as what we do.” It could be anything: religion, philosophy, hobbies, beliefs, habits, sexuality, clothes, gender, views, etc. No matter what the subject is, I’ve always thought that we as individuals have no right to try to change someone because of who they are, or to hate someone because of who they are.

I have a life philosophy that has guided me through the way I have thought about others for as long as I can remember: “If it is safe, consensual, and does not harm anyone else, then it is fine.” As long as everyone involved agrees and nobody is getting hurt—and I mean hurt in any way, including emotionally and psychologically—then what should we care what other people are doing? Why should we be upset with someone who is, for instance, a lesbian, when she really isn’t hurting anyone by being “out” and dating whomever she wants? Why should we be angry with everyone who practices Islam, when a vast majority of Muslims are practicing it peacefully? Why should people demand we “build a wall” to keep Mexican citizens out of our country, thus perpetuating negative stigma around Mexico and its people?

You can say that this article is me being sick and tired of hatred. In saying so, you’d be right. I don’t see the point in directing negative emotion toward something that will only tire you out and ultimately not make any changes for the better. I don’t see the reason why people need to butt heads so much over things that are so private. I have heard about so many negative experiences from so many wonderful people simply because they didn’t comply with what someone else said they had to do, because it was the right thing. Trying to indoctrinate people into your beliefs system, or your sexuality, or your religion, or your views, etc. isn’t going to work. In fact, 90 percent of the time, you’re going to butt heads with the person you’re trying to change.

I’m not saying people are allowed to disagree: but for the love of whatever is out there, do so peacefully. Don’t destroy people because of their beliefs. If they are comfortable, happy, safe, and not a danger to anyone, then who cares what they believe? Why go through all the trouble when you know both of you are going to end up unhappy?

I understand that a lot of things seem worth fighting over, but happiness is the one thing I deem worth fighting for. Consider thinking about what someone is telling you before picking up your pitchforks. If someone is happy as they are, and they aren’t getting hurt or hurting others, then isn’t that enough? Isn’t the greatest thing in the world to find comfort and peace within oneself, and to be able to live confidently and happy because of it?

It’s so rare to find peace these days, even within ourselves. So please, don’t begrudge someone that.