Stop Subtweeting Your life

Stop Subtweeting Your life

Be kind...

16
Stop Subtweeting Your life
Lifehack

When I want something I go out and get it. I never apologize for it because I figure that if it doesn't work out then at least I tried. I also believe that if you never ask the answer will always be no. So here is my question: Why do we hide behind social media in order to say the things we need to say? Why can we not go up to the guy that we like and say "Want to go out sometime?" Why can't we go up to a person walking past us in the hallway, and tell her that she looks pretty that day without it being weird? Why can't we be honest? Most importantly why can't we be human beings without being controlled by the social norms of social media? A question I have yet to answer.

Subtweeting first became a huge problem for me in middle school because it was when everyone started really getting into social media. It is the age when our lives are "drastically" changing, and at times life seems unbearable well, because middle school just honestly sucked. A lot of bullying took place in middle school, and for me I was targeted almost every day to the point where I didn't want to take the school bus anymore or really go to school at all anymore. I would go on Twitter, and see that people would post things about me. I would take everything to heart, I realize now it's because as an artist we feel things so deeply. And so I did, sometimes, a little too deep.

High school came along, and I found all of that went away. Mostly, because I went to a school that had a safe environment. There was not any boys which unfortunately can be the root to some girl on girl bullying. I was very lucky and fortunate enough to have been a part of a diverse community filled with values that took "women of courage" and made them strong.

To this day I consider myself a strong woman that can advocate for herself. I am a double major in dance and psychology. I am a dance teacher, sophomore class senator for the bachelor's program at Dean College, and an honors student. I care deeply for my family and friends. I love when women can lift each other up and empower each other. So I decided to write an article to promote woman in a strong light. I think that we get caught up in petty fights that we forget that we are all going through the same things. We must find what inspires us, and then go out into the world to make it a better place. I encourage you to not be mean on social media. Do not subtweet someone in order to make them feel bad. It is so much easier to be kind to people. Have enough respect for yourself as well as others to know when enough is enough. The world is such a scary place right now, and what we need the most is to make social media a safe place for both adolescents and young adults. Social media can be a very positive way for people to let out their thoughts and feelings (much like Odyssey for example). So do not give social media rep by putting out negative vibes as well as comments.

Be kind to one another,

Bettina