Stop The Stigmatizing

Stop The Stigmatizing

“Mental illness is nothing to be ashamed of, but stigma and bias shame us all.” -Bill Clinton

15
Stop The Stigmatizing

Nothing frustrates me more than when people judge other people based on something they do not even understand. How can you, as another human being with your own struggles, think less of somebody else for their struggles? Someone please explain how that makes any sense.  

Why do people stigmatize mental illness? Because they do not understand. Why do people become afraid of a person battling with schizophrenia? Because they do not understand. Why do people say, “You are just overreacting. Get over it, it is not that big of a deal,” to a person living with depression? Because they do not understand.      

See where I am coming from? The common denominator to stigmatization boils down to the fact that people just do not understand what mental illness entails. If you do not suffer from a mental illness, and those suffering frighten you, please just imagine how they feel. They are struggling every single day of their lives. They are battling their thoughts and emotions. They are taking medication, even multiple kinds of medication. They are attending therapy sessions and going to support groups. And the absolute worst of all, they are being stigmatized, discriminated against, and looked down upon because of it.      

In case you did not know, one in five Americans struggle with a mental illness of some kind. Just take a minute to let that sink in. Out of those Americans, many are very afraid to even seek diagnosis and treatment out of fear of being stigmatized. To those who do stigmatize the mentally ill, this is your fault. You are the ones making them feel worthless and frightened. Some refuse to seek treatment because they are afraid that people like you will belittle them. They do not want to be labeled as crazy, psychotic or insane. Would you? So please stop it. 

“Some of the most extraordinary people I have ever met are suffering from some form of mental illness. Their pain forces them to be honest. It doesn’t get any realer than that.” -Helen Perry     

Those living with mental illness are people, just like you and me. It is not fair that they are being treated like they are not "normal" or “misfits.” They are just normal people battling a monster much bigger than they can handle on their own. Stop stigmatizing them.