Girls, Stop Skipping Your Classes.

Girls, Stop Skipping Your Classes.

Girls across the world are dreaming for what you're dreading.

14
Girls, Stop Skipping Your Classes.
www.huffingtonpost.com

Women in college- hell, anyone in college... realize the value of your education. In America, we're obsessed with the "college experience." College is not only class, but it's parties, and being social, and everything in between. Across the globe, there are 65 millions girls who are not in school, according to an article done by The Huffington Post.

65 million.

I think we can all agree that that's a huge number. 65 millions girls are not in school. In the United States, these statistics are entirely different. Most girls are attending classes up until high school graduation. A huge percentage of these attend college. Ratios of boys to girls in school are about the same. This is not the same around the globe. According to The Huffington Post, about half of the population of women and young girls do not have the same opportunities as boys to an education.

Realize your privilege.

Realize the value of your education. Know the power that comes with an education. I think we've all heard how impactful an education is time and time again. However, I think as Americans-- myself included-- we forget just how uncommon it is to receive a quality education elsewhere. We attend school monotonously, wishing away however many years we have left before we're out. Education can save lives. In fact, statistics have shown with increased amounts of primary and secondary education, childhood deaths tend to decrease.

Overall, I am not an expert. I have not been studying education statistics for any extended period of time. However, reading the article I have mentioned (with the link inserted below) spoke to me in a way I wouldn't have really expected.

I'm a college girl too. I know that sometimes going to class is "the last thing you want to do right now." I've been there. It happens to all of us. However, we should appreciate the luxuries we have in our country to pursue our education-- especially as women. We should appreciate that it is "normal," even "customary" for women to go to pursue a higher education in our society. I don't want to preach, I just think these facts are something we've overlooked in our daily lives for far too long.

We are lucky to go to school. We're blessed to be encouraged to go to college- actually the number of girls at my own university is greater than that of boys. Consider this the next time you wake up in the morning dreading going to class. Yeah, I know that writing this article isn't going to make you hop out of bed for your 8 a.m. Friday morning thanking a higher power for your education. I'm not saying you should only focus on school and not the beloved "college experience." Cherish your friends, your nights out, and make the memories you'll look back on in twenty years and say "man, those were the times." Cherish your education too. Don't skip your classes. Learn for the sake of learning. Realize that as you attend school, you are improving yourself-- and living out the dream of many girls across the globe-- although it may have never crossed your mind. Be mindful, be thankful, and hope for a better future for girls. Pray that one day it's normal for every girl to get a degree.

"Education is the most powerful weapon you can use to change the world"- Nelson Mandela.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/60-stunning-photos-of-girls-going-to-school-around-the-globe_us_58b70fc8e4b019d36d0ffc42?