Stop Shaming Girls At The Gym For What They Wear

We're here to work out just like everyone else.

56
Instagram

Attention, universe! I am not the most athletic person on the planet and this a known fact. You will definitely not see me obsessing over lifting weights as much as the other gym sharks, but I feel like I still make my gym time useful.

I go to the gym because I want to keep myself healthy. I want to relieve my stress on my set time to sweat. I pay a high tuition *cough-cough* so I am allowed to go to my university gym whenever I can. What's not normal about this? The number of people that try to shame women when they're trying to go to the gym.

I am not the most muscular person so I'm definitely not dropping weights or seemingly doing anything to bringing attention to myself. What seems to attract people's attention? Tank tops and wearing sport-tops that show off my shoulders. That's RIDICULOUS. I am working out meaning I will most likely be sweaty. I want to wear a shirt without sleeves so that I have less disgusting sweat stains. I don't exactly want to overheat and die, either.

Everyone sweats! It's a completely normal thing and I understand it's your own choice to wear what you want while you do it, but I want to wear non-sleeve shirts in peace! Is seeing my shoulders really that offensive? That it's so distracting from your own workout? Like, you've never seen humans in the summer dying of heat wearing tank tops when you've walked outside the gym?

I'm writing this article because I was told to leave my workout and go and put on a t-shirt when I decided to celebrate winter and wear a Frozen tank top to the gym. I had been going to the gym on a good daily streak, regularly even wearing a Nike tank top because I got it on sale at a good price and I'm darn proud of it by the way.

Plus, I did not want to wear a t-shirt because I don't want to pay $2.75 to do dorm laundry on a weekly basis (Every other week is better). The gym T-shirts can wait for that price.

Apparently, my university gym has a policy that no one is allowed to wear tank tops. So we pay tuition to go here and we can't wear what we want just like in high school for free? I know that wearing more can prevent the spreading of bacteria and sweat and etc. etc. BUT this is a gym! It's going to be gross and contaminated with sweat so long as it is in use.

If it is an issue of seeing another person's body and feeling offended, there's another conflict of interest here. We are allowed to wear clothes on the street so long as they cover our most important parts and it should be the same with gyms! I want to be able to sweat less and wear my dumb Frozen tank top and feel cheesy! We should be allowed to wear what we want to the gym so long as it is not extreme!