Mental Illness Is Not Beautiful, It Is Not A Trend, It Is A Disease

It's an illness, not a trend.

125
Adriana Gil

Mental illness is not something beautiful. Mental illness should not be glamorized as something romantic. It is something dark and consuming. It consumes what you are and what you could be. It’s called mental illness for a reason. Someone who has been or is going through a mental illness would more than likely tell you that their illness isn’t all rainbows and unicorns.

Mental illness is something serious. We should be promoting help not promoting it as if it’s the latest trend.

Why do we find the need to use depression and anxiety in our everyday vocabulary? There is a difference between having a blue day and having depression. There is a difference between fearing or worrying about a deadline and anxiety. We portray these illnesses as everyday things that everyone has. We focus on the negative and find sadness as beautiful instead of aspiring to be happy. Why can’t happy be the new trend? Why is it that we romanticize depression, anxiety, and eating disorders? We shouldn't taunt what someone right next to us could be going through. No one truly wants to gloat about their pain. We shouldn't want to gloat about the negativity in life. We should be gloating about the good things in life and showing others the actual beautiful things in life because you never know how that could help someone.

People who actually have a mental illness might be afraid of speaking up and looking for help because they could just be shrugged off. They could be not taken seriously because people might think that they are just making it up. That they are just saying that for attention. The help they need could possibly not be given to them because “everyone is depressed nowadays.”

NO they actually aren't.

It sucks to wake up one day with the blues. We have all been there. A bad day could take a toll on you and you could feel stuck BUT a bad day isn't depression.

Why have we found it acceptable to have an eating disorder? Do we really feel that a person starving themselves or throwing up their food every time they eat, beautiful? It is sad and it isn’t normal. It is not lovely to look in the mirror and never find something beautiful about yourself. The beauty standards of now are tough and yes people promote body positivity, but it isn’t always promoted in the best ways. Sometimes it feels like they are promoting the illness more than positivity.

Let's start promoting positivity. Actual positivity. Stop treating these illnesses or any illness as everyday things or something that everyone has, because that is simply not the case. Help those that need help. Smile at someone today because you never know what could be going through their mind. Be sensible about what someone could be going through. Mental illness isn't romantic and it isn't beautiful. Promote self-love and help.

Please.

And if you are suffering through something right now, reach out to someone. Find help. You deserve happiness and you should be here.

National Suicide Hotline: 1-800-SUICIDE (784-2433)

Suicide Prevention Services Depression Hotline: 1-630-482-9696

National Youth Crisis Hotline: 1-800-448-4663

Sexual Assault Hotline: 1-800-223-5001

National Association of Anorexia Nervosa and Eating Disorders: 630-577-1330