Let's Get One Thing Straight, Having A Mental Health Issue Doesn't Make You Violent

Recently, many conservative politicians have equated mental health with the significant and devastating rise in mass shooters and the often white young males who conduct these murder sprees, as mentally disturbed people who were not given proper treatment for their issues. While, it is undeniable that mental health is an issue that large bodies of government have difficulty addressing properly and providing good quality resources in terms of funding and research towards, it is still very dangerous to pathologize mental health issues with violence, because it makes people afraid to seek help in fear that people will think they have violent tendencies and thus will be further stigmatized from society.

In fact, people with mental health issues are more likely to be on the receiving end of violence and abusive behaviors.

Violent behavior and mental illness are tied together, rather violence spawns violence, and our legislation and the conduct of officials often downplays the severity of violent acts. Thousands of rape kits being backlogged in warehouses, no change to gun control laws, treating rape in the military as a "battle wound" all allow violence to be accepted and escalated because checks and balances and the outcome of true justice is never enforced. Add to our obsession with the anti-hero who are often violent, misogynistic and downright cruel in their often selfish pursuit for fame, money and power, we have set up a foolproof system for a person to feel that there is glory in violence.

Our glorification of guns and violence can simply be indicated by the fact that nudity, especially female nudity often gets NC-17 ratings but violent movies with death and warfare often get a PG-13 rating without anyone making much of a fuss. We have normalized it and made it seem essential to true manhood.