Stop Dating Military Men

Stop Dating Military Men

It's not fab, and they are not toys.

1242
Hailey Williams

Every girl has a soft spot for a man in uniform. There's just something about seeing a guy in any military branch walk around in his day to day uniform. Maybe it's knowing he's a hard worker or just the uniform itself, but it's a weakness. As an army brat, I find myself more attracted to army men now than ever.

Lately, I have seen a rise in the number of female acquaintances on my Facebook and Twitter dating military men. I'm not saying it's a bad thing because I know how genuine some of the relationships are. Genuine and beautiful. But it is hard. It's hard waiting weeks and weeks for them to be done with basic training and then longer for extra training after that. It takes a strong connection.

Two of my closest friends from middle school are both married to military men, and at first, I won't lie, I thought they were crazy. We're so young and they want to be married and have children and go through life already? I still feel like I am 12 years old. Yet when I see their Instagram and Facebook pictures, they are both so happy. They give everything they are to someone who risks their life for our country... that is brave.

What I cannot stand are the many young adults who are dating an active duty personal for the benefits if they get married. The people who think if they marry someone now, love will come later. Our soldiers are not toys; you can not use them now then find value in them later. Where has the respect for our military gone? I have seen it far too many times when a person will date one person in the army, break up with them, and then about two weeks later date someone in the navy.

Stop dating military men because you want to be like the movies or the other couples.

Stop dating military men because you think they have a lot of money and can pay for anything you want to do.

Most of the guys our age are only privates and don't make that much. Going to war and doing the jobs that they have to, takes a toll on people. PTSD is a real issue with our veterans and they need people who truly love them in their lives, not "gold diggers." Show respect and only date them if you can honestly say you love them.

I would like to thank Alexis and Sean Pitts, first photo, and Hailey and Daryl Williams, header and second photo, for all of the Facebook, Instagram and Twitter posts that show us that true love is still reachable. Also, that behind every strong Military man is a strong military wife. I love you guys!