top music tastes among millennials

Stop Bashing People For Their music Tastes

Instead of bashing, try listening. Who knows, maybe you'll find a new favorite.

39

I see it all the time. I see it on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook...every social media platform. I get and understand that everyone has an opinion and has the right to voice it, but can't we do it in a way that doesn't disrespect anyone?

Recently, I've started listening to AS IT IS and Panic! At The Disco more than usual because both bands have been releasing music and have albums coming out very soon.

AS IT IS' new album is called "The Great Depression" and has more of a dark, deeper feel to it than past albums, and Panic! At The Disco's new album, "Pray For The Wicked," has a more overarching theme of religion.

Both of these albums are different than what the artists have released in the past and I have seen people bashing other people for them.

I get it. You're not into Panic! At The Disco or AS IT IS. You may not like their music, you may not be able to get into it for whatever reason or it may simply just not be your style. That's fine. You're allowed to not like the music, but when you bash someone because they like it, that's when it starts to get out of hand.

Bullying someone for their music taste is wrong and immature. You don't know why they like that artist, you don't know what that person is going through and you surely don't know what that artist means to them. They have nothing to do with the music that the artist creates, so why do you feel the need to bully and disrespect someone you don't even know?

Disrespecting someone you don't know brings me to my next point. I've seen people disrespecting the artists themselves which really breaks my heart. You've probably never met said artist nor are you going to, so why are you trash talking them? They're just making music and doing what they love to do - make people happy.

Music is meant to be a tool to bring people together through friendships and shared experiences. I get that all music is not for everyone, of course people are allowed to like and dislike music, but what I'm saying is that we should start being nicer to people whose music taste differs from ours.

We shouldn't make fun of people for it because first of all, that's mean and childish, and nobody deserves to be bullied for anything, and second of all, there are plenty of genres and artists out there for people to like, so if you don't like a certain one, just move on!

I have so many friends who aren't into the bands I listen to. I've tried to get them to listen, but a lot of them like to stick to the ones they've been listening to for years, and that's totally okay!

Instead of bashing someone for their taste in music, how about giving it a listen? It only takes a couple of minutes, and who knows, you may find a favorite song or a favorite artist.