stop asking if my job is on its way out

Please Stop Asking Me If or When My Company Is Going Under

Don't make assumptions based on what rumors you read on the internet. The internet is not always right.

263

Technology is integrated into practically everything we do in 2019.

Online shopping and digital purchases have made shopping more accessible than ever for consumers. However, with the significant increase in online shopping, brick and mortar stores have been feeling the impacts. We have seen that with places like Borders, Toys R Us, Blockbuster, and more.

I currently work for a company that has felt the effects of online purchasing options. We have worked and still actively work to adapt and embrace the increase in digital purchases.

Thanks to people who seem to take enjoyment in spreading false rumors have caused some frustrations with me as well as other retail workers. Almost every day during my shift, I have at least one guest who will either ask if my company is going out of business or they "know" that it is going to go out of business. I typically respond to these questions and assumptions by replying something like "I'll go work for McDonald's" or "It is what it is." I honestly do not understand how people expect us, retail employees, to react when they say something like that.

I am already wondering whether the money and energy I put into earning my bachelor's degree are ever going to be worth it. I am working to pay bills and student loans until I find a more "big girl" job. I can do without the baseless and needless speculations. Even if a store or company is at risk of "going under," what would make you think that a retail store worker would know? We are the last to know anything.