Stina's Declassified: Fest Season Survival Guide

The most wonderful time of the year is just around the corner! Whether this is your first rodeo or you're looking for a nice reminder of the etiquette, look no further.

12

I can't believe Fest Season has rolled around yet again!

I love this time of year for so many different reasons: it's warming up, therefore I can start breaking out some fire party outfits, party season coming back, the ultimate hack of dealing with block party city rules, and the coming together of the surrounding communities to celebrate, well, anything and everything.

While yes, it's a good time, it's an even better time if you're having fun safely and responsibly. That's why I'm here with some advice - legal or otherwise. Just my lay of the land. I attended every fest last year, but I've only been through one season so far. This is what I have to offer, though! And I can't wait for this season and what I learn this time around! Let's dive in.

1. Firstly, stay off the f***ing sidewalks!

Whether you heard this advice for HallOUween or not, it's worth repeating. When you're in public/on city property, don't be stupid! Avoid the public if you're considerably messed up, of age or otherwise. Someone'll probably yell at you if you're breaking this rule for too long, but be warned.

2. Turn that cup upside down!

Honestly, sometimes it's best to bring your own cups, especially later on during the day when people may have run out. Make sure if you're taking it with you to finish whatever's in it so you can hold it upside down in between houses. Especially with corona creeping on the U.S., it sounds like bringing your own containers may be the move this year. While you're at it, make it your own anything but cup fest with your friends.

3. Dress cute...but make it smart.

Is it supposed to rain? Maybe your trendy new raincoat around your waist is a move until the front moves in! Super hot and sunny? Fun sunnies are cute AND useful. Fanny packs are popular accessories for Fest, put your snacks in there! Maybe a tampon or two if applicable, or maybe some condoms for safety, of course, gotta stay strapped. Has it rained? Determine which cute pair of shoes is the most expendable and wear them to each one - they may not make it through the spring.

4. Remember to eat & hydrate

The kicker for these is that it is dangerous if you wake up early and drink (if you choose to) and don't drink any water or eat beforehand. Especially be careful of the weather too, if it'll be hot. You gotta be smart. If you want to have a good time, do it responsibly, please. You won't want to watch yourself on Barstool after you get released from jail.

5. Buddy up!

Don't go by yourself! Go in a group, or at least have one person whose back you're watching and vice versa. If you're not someone that likes to partake in intoxicants but don't want to miss out on the fun, you could be homie of the day for keeping track of everyone and making sure they're safe and making good choices.

6. Get to Palmer Place early, and all the other Friday's at the day's discretion

Palmer Place gets shut down pretty fast for the same stupid things; hanging on the railings and broken glass (heads up, don't do those things please!) Skip class if you have to, this one is truly something to be seen. Since the Friday ones are at night, start earlier than normal, but if you want to go hard the next day, get to bed at a responsible time & set that alarm for earlier than you might think. It's not kegs & eggs, but it's pretty damn close.

7. Take a nap

Whether you plan on rallying later or not, just do it homie. You deserve it.

8. Don't expect there to be drinks, come prepared

If you are choosing to drink, of age or otherwise (I'm not saying I've drank illegally or that I'm encouraging any underage readers to do so, by the way) prepare beforehand. Also, if you're not early enough, you may miss out on any free drinks. Drinking or not drinking, bring your own water. Drink responsibly.

9. Take pictures

Whether it be to put up on the Gram, or just to have to show your kids you truly were once fun, the age of technology is on your side. Just make sure you won't take or post anything you'll regret.

10. If the party scene isn't your scene, go do something touristy around town!

While everyone's partying it up, Stroud's Run probably won't be that crowded! Go study up in your favorite spot at your regular coffeeshop. I'm sure no one will steal it from you today.

Fests are so interesting to witness for a variety of different reasons, and I hope that all of you go to all of them at least once during your time here! You won't regret it, or, maybe you will, depending on how much of my advice you heed.

Good luck everyone, have so much fun, and I hope to see you there!