It Has Been Two Weeks Since Mac Miller's Death And I'm Still Mourning

Mac Miller passed away two weeks ago. I have had his music on repeat since then. 2009 is playing as this article is being written. I am still in shock and still mourning the loss of this great musician. I grew up listening to Mac Miller. I have seen him in concert. I have bumped every album. I have learned the lyrics to many of his songs. I have waited patiently for his new music to drop. I won't sit here and tell you that I am the biggest Mac Miller fan in the world, but I truly enjoy his music. He has given us albums with fun upbeat songs and albums about dark times in his life.

I have sat here and wondered why this particular death is hard for me. I remembered when Prince and Michael Jackson died and those were sad days for me too. I have come to the conclusion that this death is so hard for me because I grew up listening to Mac Miller. He is the first artist to pass away that I grew up listening to. "Blue Slide Park" came out when I was 13 years old. "Party on Fifth Ave." was my favorite song for years. It still has to be in the top 10 to this day. This past summer, I was driving to the beach with my friends and that song came on. Every single one of us knew all the words and sang at the top of our lungs. I am thankful that Mac could give us moments like that.

Mac Miller is six years older than me. Just six. That really blows my mind that someone so close in age to me, who I grew up with is just gone. It hurts and it is a sin. The other day I read that Mac Miller's music has seen a 970% increase in streams since his death. Some people may say that everyone is showing fake love now that he's gone, but I call this true mourning.

Mac Miller's death is a terrible tragedy. He lost his battle with his demons. Fortunately, it is not too late for others who are also suffering. If you are going through a dark time, speak up. It is OK to ask for help. People want to help. Don't wait until it's too late.

Mental illness is a real thing.

How many more deaths need to happen for everyone to realize that this is a real issue? Everyone always says "Oh it's all in your head" and that's the worse part. It is in your head so you can never escape it. It never goes away, you can't run from it and you can't hide. Check in on your friends and family, even the ones that seem like they have it all together. Don't just hear them speak, listen to them.

Mac Miller was taken too soon from us. Now, all we have left is his music.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline

1-800-273-8255

SAMHSA National Helpline

1-800-662-4357