Sticking To Your Resolutions

Sticking To Your Resolutions

Here are some helpful tips.

9
Sticking To Your Resolutions

We all know New Year's resolutions can be tough to achieve. Whether your goal is to get in shape, improve your GPA, find adventure, or master a hobby, there are certain obstacles you have to face (ice cream, netflix, naps, etc.). So, here are a few tips for sticking to those (most common) resolutions and making this semester a great one!

If your resolution is to improve your health:

1. Make a schedule

Writing workout time into your schedule can be really helpful because you will already have a healthy study break built in to your list of things to do.

2. Workout with friends

Making plans to work out with friends is a great way to stay motivated. Going to the gym or running together makes things more fun for both of you!

3. Join a class at the gym

If you haven't already, you should definitely try one of the classes Pottruck has to offer. Trying a zumba class last semester was by far the most fun I've ever had at the gym, so I'm sure making one of these classes part of your weekly routine would be extremely rewarding!

4. Don't study in your room

Avoid studying in your room which can lead to quite a few distractions, namely stress eating, which would not help you stick to your goal of being a healthier you in the new year. 

6. Explore a new path

Instead of taking the usual route to 38th and Walnut or the gym in your building, check out the path along the Schuylkill. I haven't yet, but a couple friends of mine have said it's a great place to run when the weather returns to above freezing. 

To improve your gpa:

1. Spend more time in the library (or wherever you get the most work done)

I've realized I'm a lot more productive at the library than I am in my room. Being in a place filled with books and other people who are doing the same thing you are definitely makes it easier to focus. So, consistently spending more time in the library this semester (think finals week but with less pressure) will take some of that stress away when finals week actually arrives.

2. Study with friends

Studying with friends from your class is always a great way to study. Not only is it more fun to study with your friends, but being able to ask each other questions and explain things to each other is also great resource (as long as your study session doesn't turn into one big study break).

3. Go to office hours

If you're struggling or falling behind in a class, office hours are one of the best resources-- take advantage of them!

4. Turn off your phone while studying

Avoiding distractions can be tough, especially when we have so many around us all the time. If you're having trouble focusing, try turning off or putting away your phone for a certain amount of time. You know what they say, "out of sight, out of mind."

No matter what your goals are this semester, staying focused and utilizing all the resources Penn has to offer are the best ways to achieve those goals! Nothing's impossible with some good planning and good friends. 

Happy Spring Semester!