Stereotypes: So Highschool

Stereotypes: So Highschool

Leave the stereotypes behind with your letterman jacket

7
Stereotypes: So Highschool

Many teenagers and young adults preparing to enter into the collegiate world, eager for a new start and a chance to shed themselves of their old skin and identity, look to college as beacon of hope and a safe haven. A place where they can forget high school and its oppressive generalizing, and be for the first time who they want to be, not what people define them as. To them college is a place of acceptance where genuine friendships emerge and thrive. After finally abandoning the vapid nonchalance of high school relationships, college offers a sincere chance to finally meet accepting like-minded people. And these hopeful young teens should view college like that because that is what college should be. The only problem is that college is not exactly like that, especially, and very unfortunately, not in Greek life.

University Greek life provides such an incredible opportunity to meet fantastic people and create lasting memories. Through my own experience I myself have made friendships that I know will continue on through my future, and I have had some of the most amazing times with those people. I am not here to affront Greek life and trash it like many seek to do. I enjoy Greek life immensely and I believe that if handled properly it can be a fantastic thing that improves lives and the overall college experience. However, to my dismay, there are those that use Greek life and people's affiliation with it to pigeonhole them into a stereotype that most likely does not fit that particular person.

On a more distant level there are those that oppose Greek life, claiming it to be shallow and superficial. They view those who participate in sororities and fraternities as reflections of their own assumptions without even really getting to know the person. This is such a shame because some of the kindest and most authentic people I have ever met in my life have come from my own sorority, and other sororities and fraternities on campus. Choosing to take part in this University institution should not define who you are, and should certainly not declare you as shallow and materialistic. In an attempt to break the status quo and avoid the supposed “judgmental" and “shallow" nature of sororities and fraternities, they have turned back around and done the same thing. Essentially, they are doing to Greek life what they accuse them of and resent them for. Why does it matter whether or not you joined a sorority or a fraternity? It says nothing about that person's moral character or values, and they certainly do not deserve to be judged or accused because of it.

Now onto a more intimate level. Within the Greek system there is relentless stereotyping and ruthless generalizing that goes on. When people hear that you are in a certain sorority or fraternity they immediately conjure up all of the stereotypes they have ever heard about that house and inflict them upon you. So, by just answering a simple question they have already decided what you're like, how you act, and in a sense who you are. They do not know you, they have never met you, but they know you are a Pi Phi or a Delta Sig, and therefore they know you. It is honestly such an absurd thing to do and yet it happens on a borderline epidemic level. I often find myself a weaker victim against the false characterizing of sororities here in college than I did in high school. It even reaches such an outrageous level that some fraternities won't hang out with certain sororities or go on date nights with very pretty, cool girls just because they are in a particular sorority. And girls do it to guys too. It is honestly so sad because Greek life is supposed to be a community where students can go to fit in and have fun and make friends, but instead it often acts as this supreme divider sectioning off certain sororities into one category and other fraternities into a different category. So not only are we, the Greek community, receiving unwarranted hate from the outside, but we are now struggling with internal strife and stereotyping. Just because you're in this fraternity does not mean you do drugs, and just because you are in that sorority does not mean you party way too hard. After all, if you can't judge a book by its cover, than how you can you expect to judge a PERSON by their Greek affiliation?

So, let us all work together, those participating in Greek life and those not, to create a college that can be a beacon of hope for a high school outcast. Let's make a home for those that never felt they had one. Stop the judging. Forget the stereotypes. High school over, so let it end.