25 Steps To Avoid Overpacking

25 Steps To Efficient And Lightweight Packing

Granted, this isn't a full list of all the ways to pack lighter, but offers some good tips.

13
Photo by JESHOOTS.COM on Unsplash

You don't need to use all these tips, but even cherry picking out a few (and possibly adding your own) will make all the difference:

Pick a small bag

If you choose a smaller bag you'll force yourself to pack light.

Follow a list

Write up a list of all the stuff you need and stick to it instead of going through all your stuff to decide what you will an dwill not bring.

Pack one week's worth of clothes

As long as you'll be gone more than a week, and you know you'll have access to a laundry machine, only pack enough clothes for a week to save space.

Fold your clothes

This one is self-explanatory, but it doesn't hurt to mention. There are a lot of methods online to compact folding (I provided one for shirts below)

Ranger Roll your t-shirts 

I'll let this video do the explaining:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=so93nqxZLjM

Don't bring too many shoes

You only need 2 - 3 pairs at most.

Stuff your shoes

Stuff your socks and underwear into your shoes.

Pack travel size toiletries

If you're planning on staying in a hotel, you can always use and take the toiletries they provide.

Solid version toiletries

Of the toiletries, you bring, opt for the solid version if possible to save space.

"From shampoo/conditioner to toothpaste, from sunscreen to insect repellent, from facial cleanser, foundation, and moisturizer to mascara, bronzer, and face mask, even exfoliants and perfumes, all come in solid versions that will save you weight, space, hassle, and the environmental cost of excess packaging." - Doug Dyment

Only take one hat

Although it can be stylish to have multiple hats, it doesn't help you pack any lighter.

Avoid the 'what if' mentality

If you're asking yourself "What if...", then you probably don't need it and will avoid overpacking by just bringing the essentials.

To need or not to need

If you can't honestly say that you need something then leave it behind. If your aim is to pack light, avoid taking things just because you want to.

Vacuum seal bags

If you have these at you're disposal and you know you'll have a vacuum at your destination, vacuum sealing your clothes can help save on lots of space.

Wear your bulkiest items

If you know you'll need a heavy jacket, wear it while you travel to stay warm and save space in your bag.

Poncho or small umbrella

If you're predicting weather at your destination, pack a poncho or compact umbrella to save space instead of a sweater/raincoat.

Utilize your phone

Smartphones are very versatile and can save you a lot of space, so leave behind your camera, flashlight, books and anything else you can use just as well on your phone.

Minimize your electronics

Depends on what you're traveling for, but you might not need your laptop or a tablet; settle for you phone and save space.

Earphones work fine

Smaller earphones can work just as well as larger headphones, so opt for the smaller choice.

Need more room?

Try fitting everything you need into a smaller bag, then transferring it over into the bag you want to bring making sure not to add anything extra.

Leave behind valuables

If there's no need to bring them with you, why risk loosing them by taking them along.

Empty out your wallet

This step might seem odd, but if you can save some space by leaving behind your gift cards and the like, do so.

Inflatable Sleep Accessories

If you're taking a travel pillow or other sleep accessories, make sure they are inflatable for easy storage.

Compatible Bottle

Bring a bottle with you that you can compact easily so you don't need to use disposable water bottles.

Pill Organizer

If you're going on a shorter trip and have medications you need to take, leave the pill bottles behind and use a pill organizer.

Buy it there

This is a last resort option as you save on space, but you waste money.