What I'm Thankful For

I'm Thankful This Thanksgiving More Than Just The Turkey

A list of everything I am thankful for this year.

65
scrabble pieces

As Thanksgiving approaches very fast, I wanted to type up a list of things I am thankful for this year. As Christians, we should be thankful daily for all the blessings God has bestowed upon us. The Bible says in 1 Chronicles 16:34, "Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good; his faithful love endures forever (CSB)." With that being said, I look at this week's article as an open thank you letter to God for everything He has blessed me with. Feel free to comment what you are thankful for as well!

1. I am thankful for God sending Jesus to die for us.

A picture a guy in my small group found on Facebook.

Photo courtesy Brandon Pisacrita, who got it from Facebook.

First and foremost, I am thankful that God sent His son Jesus to die on the cross, which gives us atonement for our sins. Without Jesus, we would not be able to have a relationship with God. The picture shown above, a picture a friend and fellow brother in Christ, Brandon Pisacrita, found on Facebook, shows Jesus holding out His hand for us as we are slowly drowning in the weight of this world. What this picture shows is that Jesus wants to pull us near to Him, no matter what our circumstances are.

2. I am thankful for a girlfriend who seeks to grow our relationship in the Lord.

My girlfriend, Catherine, and I at the Huntsville Havoc hockey game on November 9, 2018.

Photo courtesy my phone.

Although we have only been dating for a little over two months now, I am very thankful for this girl. I am especially thankful for her willingness to build our relationship in Christ, and keep Him the center of our relationship. That is one thing that is very crucial to me, and it is something I have never really experienced before. She has shown me that there is true love out there, not just brokenness and verbal or metal abuse, as I have mentioned experiencing before. It is my prayer that, one day, if it is God's plan for us, that we choose to serve the Lord together for a youth group.

3. I am thankful for my church family back home.

My youth group back home at Pine Mountain Community Church in Remlap, Alabama.

Photo courtesy my phone, taken by Douglas King.

I am extremely thankful for this wonderful group of youth, as well as my entire church family back home. These people have been my rock throughout this college experience, and I pray that every opportunity I get to speak to them what God has laid on my heart for them, that they will listen to what God has to say to them through me. I am thankful for them because they have helped me grow mightily in my faith in Christ by helping Shane lead them.

4. I am thankful for my family.

My mom, grandmother, and I at the grand opening of the Springville, Alabama Zaxby's in 2016 (before I made my decision to transfer to JSU, hence the UAB shirt).

Photo courtesy my phone.

I am separating this one a little because I don't have a whole family picture, including my older brother. I am very thankful for my family. Without them, I definitely would not be where I am today. I also would not have gotten through very difficult times last year without them. They have been my biggest fans through everything, from football to sitting through cold track meets, and everything in between. My grandmother and I butt heads sometimes, but I believe it is because we are so much alike. I am thankful for everything they do for me, and I honestly don't feel like I say it enough. So, thank you family, for being my biggest fans!

5. I am thankful for my brother.

My brother as the Arrow, and me as the Flash, Halloween 2014.

Photo courtesy my phone.

This is honestly my favorite picture of my brother and me. We fight and butt heads sometimes, but that's what siblings do. In all honesty, I am thankful for my brother and all he does for me. He has been by my side through every crazy thing that has happened in my life, and has even given me a best friend that considers me his younger brother (who also happens to be his best friend as well). Without Chris and John, I wouldn't be where I am today either. These two especially push me to be the best I can be in everything I do. They are where I learned to be persistent and strive to be my best. I am thankful for the bond I have with them.

6. I am thankful for Engage.

Engage worship

Photo courtesy my phone.

I am super thankful for this great college ministry, Engage JSU. This ministry always makes me look forward to Mondays. I am thankful for this wonderful ministry because I have truly felt myself grow through each series Jesse has preached on, and I am thankful that I get to see God move in the lives of 300 college students each Monday night. Also, I am thankful that we have started the Campus Connection team, which hands out various things to show love to fellow students and our great campus. So, always come by and get a snack or candy or whatever we have to brighten your Mondays. It's absolutely free!

7. I am thankful for my small group.

Small group at Engage Baptism Night last Spring semester.

Photo courtesy my phone.

I wanted to use this picture as a Christmas card this year because it is my absolute favorite of my small group. I am thankful for each of these guys who have become like brothers over the past year and a half or so. We have laughed together, broken bread together, cried together, went on food runs together, all sorts of stuff. However, the one thing I am thankful for is that each one of these guys have helped me grow in the Lord, and we have helped each other grow together. I am thankful for these guys, and I pray that God uses each of them in an awesome way.

8. I am thankful for teachers who inspired me to become a teacher myself.

Mrs. Lindley and I on Cap and Gown picture day for the first graduating class of Southeastern 2015.

Photo courtesy my phone.

Many teachers had a profound impact on me throughout the years. Coach King and Coach Martin at Locust Fork (who are now retired) come to mind. One of the main teachers at Southeastern who really inspired me to become a teacher is Mrs. Rhonda Lindley. During my senior year, Mrs. Lindley taught us Environmental Science, and she now teaches Agriscience. Going into senior year, I was a little anxious because I was transferring from Locust Fork to Southeastern and didn't really know what to expect. Mrs. Lindley treated me like I had been there the whole time from my first day there. I believe that is how a teacher should be with students. She also played off something Mr. Richard (a former teacher at Southeastern prior to the school becoming a full high school) did at the beginning of his classes, called "Share Time." This would be where we'd talk about anything and everything going on in our lives. On Mondays, we specifically talked about The Walking Dead. I plan to incorporate Share Time in my classroom when I become a teacher, because it truly helps you to get to know your students. Thank you, Mrs. Lindley and the many other teachers over the years who have inspired me to become a teacher myself! Your work is truly underrated and often goes unnoticed.

9. I am thankful for Jacksonville State.

Jacksonville State Marching Southerners during a football game.

Photo courtesy my phone.

Finally, I am thankful to be a part of the Jacksonville State family. This campus is very close and tight knit. What made me really fall in love with this campus is seeing everyone come together to help one another and be there for one another following the March 19th tornadoes.Seeing that made me realize this is where God wanted me to be. I am thankful for JSU because this campus has given me many opportunities, and I am excited to get my degree from here and begin teaching wherever God needs me.