Staying Motivated Isn't Always Easy, But Trust Me, It's Worth It

For when the struggle never seems to end.

111

Throughout school, I find it extremely difficult to stay motivated. The work becomes too difficult for me to even begin and I feel discouraged by my failures. I want to succeed, but the difficulties in front of me sometimes seem too big to overcome. Even during finals, I find it difficult to actually study. However, I eventually manage to get back on track and do my best to achieve my goals. Here are some of the ways I stay motivated.

The first thing I do is leave my house to study. Being in your house can make you feel too comfortable and distracted. I feel that going to a coffee shop or a library can help motivate you, especially if there are others studying. Seeing others be productive makes you want to be productive, too.

I also remind myself of my end goal. I personally want to be a psychiatrist and go to medical school and in order to do that, I have to do well in school now. The more I remind myself of my end goal, the more motivated I feel.

Additionally, it helps if you give yourself rewards for studying a certain amount. For instance, "If I finish this paragraph, I can go on my phone for five minutes." Even thinking of punishments for not doing your work can be helpful. For example, if you don't finish the paragraph in 20 minutes, you can't go on your phone for another hour. I find these types of punishments to be extremely effective.

Lastly, stating the things you are grateful for is very motivating. Personally, I remind myself how lucky I am to even get an education because so many girls around the world are denied one. Since I have this opportunity I should use it to the best of my abilities and succeed in life.

Motivation can be a difficult thing to find, but when you do, you can achieve anything you truly want to.