Staying Fit Abroad

Staying Fit Abroad

12
Staying Fit Abroad

Delicious French bread, authentic Italian pizza, 'samplings' of any and all types of wine; studying abroad is a time of constant consumtion. And, while all this sounds both delicious and absolutely necessary, (as food is an essential part of any traveling experience) it can also weigh a person down. Rich foods, alcohol, carbs: you have to think about enjoying them, but also still feeling comfortable in your clothes.

Depending on where you are studying abroad, staying fit and working out can actually be very simple. You are going to be doing a lot of walking, for both sightseeing, avoiding costly taxis, and getting to and from your classes. You don't realize how much you are walking, because you are also able to look around you and see the beautiful place that you have chosen to experience. But, if walking isn't the best option for you as your essential destinations are just too far of a distance to trek, taking time out of your day to go on a run is also great. Find a local park, and take advantage. I am lucky enough to live right near the Jardin de Tuileries, which is an absolutely beautiful place as I get to run past the Louvre and all of its visitors.

Another option is to use a bike. Many cities have systems where you can either rent a bike for a few hours or a more extended amount of time, and park it back up in a different part of town. This is both a great leg work out, and also a clever way to learn the roads and the streets, no map necessary. 

But then comes the winter months, and it gets just that much harder to step outside your door, never mind running through the bitter cold or subjecting your face to the harsh, fast winds atop a bicycle. Depending on the city of your choosing, you could join a gym. Some have great student deals that last for 4-6 months or a way to pay monthly, so there is no lasting membership or wasted fees. But unfortunately, not all gyms are like this. Here in Paris, the cheapest gym or yoga center I have found is close to 300 euros for two months, something my student budget cannot afford. So, there is the next best thing: work-out videos. You can either utilize youtube or invest in some DVDs, like P90X, to work out in the comfort of your room for little to no cost. 

So, take another bite of that baguette or another spoonful of that gelato. Studying abroad is about enjoying every experience and especially every taste, and it will taste that much more delicious knowing there are ways to work it off later.