6 Ways To Always Be Healthy In College

6 Ways To Always Be Healthy In College

Be aware of what you are eating, but eating out is inevitable.

12
6 Ways To Always Be Healthy In College

The freshman 15 is a real thing, and more and more college students are doing whatever it takes to combat these extra pounds. Of course, if you know me, I am a literal stick. I do not watch my weight, but I am conscious of what I am putting into my body. Every year, I get sick at least 5 times. It is even more now, since I moved into a big university and was sharing a building with over 600 others. New diets and living with many others can take a great toll on our bodies. Here are a few tips that I have found to help me feel better, and get sick less throughout the year.

SEE ALSO: How To Avoid The Freshman 15 As A Non-Vegan, Mozzarella-Stick-Loving, Busy College Student

1. Be aware of what you are eating, but eating out is inevitable.

I love eating junk or fast food, but sometimes you need to decide whether that Wendy's 4 for 4 is actually worth it. If your school has a salad bar, definitely get a salad from time to time (The salad bar in BGSU's union is GREAT btw). You can add anything you like on it, especially other vegetables and fruits that taste great. If you aren't into vegetables but are a fan of a few, certainly keep eating them more frequently. Personally, I am only a fan of cucumbers and broccoli, so I make sure I eat them as often as I can. Eating more vegetables and fruits, and not so much fried food, will help you not feel gross 24/7, fill you up easier, and give you lots more energy.

2. If you don't like working out, or just don't have time, that's perfectly fine.

Many believe that working out is essential when eating right, but I don't feel the same. I never work out. I don't feel the need to, but if you are trying to lose a few pounds or just like going for a quick jog, more power to you. Just don't feel like you HAVE to in college to maintain your weight. Gaining weight is natural, and not something to make you feel worse about your body image.

3. Get some sleep!

You might have a big test tomorrow, but you won't do good unless you have the energy for it. You don't want to be asleep in class and only made it so far as putting your name on the test. Spending late nights in the library is not good for your physical or mental health. As the hours of studying go by, you start to become more distracted, and your brain isn't remembering the information anymore. So, spend your evening in the library, take breaks, and get at least 8 hours. Personally, I make sure that I am in bed at 1:00 am AT THE LATEST. This ensures that I get a good night's rest, and has really decreased the number of times I get sick.

4. Drink water whenever you can.

That coke might be calling your name, but it might be best to drink the SmartWater right next to it. I personally do not like the taste of water, so I buy drink flavoring packets. This way, I'm drinking water that tastes good. This makes me drink at least two bottles a day. This has really helped me feel better, stay hydrated, and slightly helped my skin.

5. Drink Emergen-C.

Vitamin C helps prevent colds and builds up your immune system. Emergen-C packets contain 1,000 mg of Vitamin C. Drink it up if you feel like you are getting a cold, and it will help it go away faster, or even stop it entirely.

6. Cut out dairy as much as needed.

I love Starbucks, but after drinking anything with milk, it makes me sick to my stomach. For me, drinking a lot of milk upsets my stomach, and no one wants to go to class feeling gross. So far, I have tried cutting out as much dairy I can (besides cheese and ice cream). I have already felt better.