The State Of The Green Bay Packers

The State Of The Green Bay Packers

Training camp is around the corner, and expectation for the Packers is Super Bowl or bust.

209
The State Of The Green Bay Packers
youtube.com

In 2017 the Green Bay Packers finished 3rd in the NFC North division with a 7-9 record. It was the first time since 2008 they missed the playoffs. Green Bay made changes in the front office, the coaching staff, and the roster since the season ended. Brian Gutekunst was named General Manager, Mike Pettine was named Defensive Coordinator, and the team released veteran wide receiver Jordy Nelson. With free agency and the NFL Draft in the rearview mirror, fans can now look forward to training camp and speculating how the 2018 season will turn out.

In the Aaron Rodgers era in Green Bay, Wisconsin, the Packers made the playoff for 8 straight years (a franchise record) 3 NFC Championship appearances, and 1 Super Bowl title. Time is running out for Rodgers and head coach Mike McCarthy to win more Super Bowls. Their run has been impressive during their time with the team, but more is better, and more Super Bowls have eluded the team since 2010. As a loyal Packer fan, I have been saying this for seven years, but this could be their year. And I have good reason to believe that statement. Through free agency and the draft, The Packers have addressed their needs on the field to improve as a football team.

The Packers signed tight end Jimmy Graham, who was previously with the Seattle Seahawks. He wasn’t as productive with Seattle as he was with the New Orleans Saints. He’s also 31 years old and his age brings concern. But he is another big target for Aaron Rodgers down the field. Muhammad Wilkerson signed with Green Bay during free agency. The former New York Jet can help make Green Bay’s pass rush formidable against their opponents. He will join Mike Daniels and Kenny Clark on Green Bay’s front line, adding more playmakers on defense.

In Free Agency and the NFL Draft, the Packers addressed a position that had been lacking for a couple years- cornerback. The Packers brought back Davon House and Tramon Williams in free agency. In the first two rounds of the draft, Green Bay selected two cornerbacks, Jaire Alexander from Louisville and Josh Jackson from Iowa. They will join corners Kevin King, Quintin Rollins, and Josh Jones. The secondary got a much-needed boost that was well addressed by Gutekunst.

In the draft, Gutekunst even addressed a need for wide receivers when he drafted J’Mon Moore from Missouri, Marquez Valdes-Scantling from South Florida, and Equanimeous St. Brown from Notre Dame. With Jordy Nelson cut, these rookies have an opportunity to make name for themselves on a veteran receiving corps. In a passing league, it never hurts to have too many wide receivers.

The Green Bay Packers were founded in 1919 and 2018 will be their 100th anniversary. I’ve only been alive for 19 of those seasons, but it is certainly impressive for the 13-time world champions. The changes the historic franchise has gone through this offseason has given me reason to believe once again. I always believed that anything is possible when Aaron Rodgers has the ball in his hands, but he can’t do it alone. A healthy Aaron Rodgers is almost unstoppable, but a complete team on both sides of the ball makes the Packers dangerous. Free Agency added key pieces at certain positions and the 2018 draft class gives fans hope for the future of the team. The Packers 100th season will be a special one, but a Super Bowl victory would make it unforgettable.