I have my own personal experience with dieting, and fad diets are not excluded. I have been struggling with weight loss all my life and I have tried everything imaginable to control that. In today’s society, people are always looking for a quick fix, even if that fix has a number of potential health concerns.

In relation to dieting, a fad diet is a diet for weight loss that is popular usually for a short amount of time. Just by flipping through magazines, surfing the web or even just turning the on the TV, you will see a lot of different fad diets that promise quick weight loss. Over the years our generation is has become very vulnerable to the media and peer pressure. When we see thin and toned people on our TVs and in our magazines every day we feel insecure and long to look like those people. Because of our insecurities we look for a quick fix and many times fad diets promise us that. The majority of the time fad diets require us to eat a regulated amount of food on a regulated scheduled. This can cause a number of problems in our health such as dehydration, weakness, fatigue, nausea, headaches, constipation and eventually could lead to an increased risk of various diseases.

Many fad diets encourage a very low-calorie food intake. While I was growing up and struggling with my weight, my mother used to tell me “your body is like a car, it needs fuel to go.” It’s essential that people know that even though starvation seems to be a quick fix, it also is very unhealthy and you tend to gain weight after the fact because your body begins storing the fat that you already have so that it can function. Although starvation can lead to quick weight loss, they also lead to quick weight regain. It is important that we are informed about all of the health problems that come with these sorts of diets.

I must admit, not all fad diets are necessarily bad. Some fad diets help with portions but are not supposed to be used for long periods of time. Weight Watchers, for example, is supposed to help its users lose 10 percent of their body weight and then after that they should know what works best for their lifestyle. Once a member reaches his or her goal weight, he or she starts a maintenance period. But it is crucial to remember that there is not an easy way out. Weight loss requires commitment and will power, and it takes time. If you want to show changes in your weight and in your health as a whole, it is better to make small changes here and there opposed to cutting out essential foods as fad diets normally do.

Many dietitians have claimed that setting small achievable goals for yourself rather than becoming involved in fad diets are more successful steps for weight loss. It is proven that setting realistic goals for yourself like simply packing your own lunch are more successful than the high protein/ low-carb, low calorie and supplements that fad diets have to offer. One helpful tip for successful, healthy weight loss is to keep a daily food diary. If we just simply made a few lifestyle changes like recording our eating habits or even just cutting out soda and other sugary drinks we would not only see results, but also we could continue on with those new lifestyles and be healthy for the rest of our days.

Even though fad diets appear to be a quick fix there are many health concerns that come with it. Instead of focusing on quick fixes try making little changes here and there to better your lifestyle and make you a healthier person altogether. A successful diet program should combine nutritional balance, have a reasonable decrease in calories and a moderate increase in physical activity. It should be something that you can potentially do for a lifetime. If a diet makes promises for fast results, narrows eating to one particular food group, recommends a rigid diet plan or recommends foods that are not easily achievable, then chances are the diet won’t work in the long haul. Remember, it is better to be healthy than to be skinny.