The Biggest Problem With Starting At A Community College

Literally no one told me this was going to be a thing.
217

The thought of college was really stressful for me back in high school. I had great grades, was a member of the National Honor Society, and had a decent idea of where I wanted to be in the future. The problem was money; even with the highest academic scholarships offered to me by the schools I applied to, I still had to come up with a few thousand dollars.

So in the end, I chose community college.

My experience in community college was great. I made friends, took great classes, and became educated on college life as a whole. However, it wasn't until I began applying to four-year schools that I realized how transfer students are looked at.

Basically, some four-year schools believe I don't deserve any scholarships.

Despite the fact that I've maintained a G.P.A. well over 3.5 through my first year of college and was a member of the honor's program there, some schools, including the one I'm attending now, believe that because I started this difficult journey elsewhere, I'm not entitled to any financial aid in the form of scholarships.

I cannot tell you how angry I was when I realized this, especially since no one told me something like this was going to happen. My high school guidance counselor never mentioned this, my advisors in the community college I attended never mentioned this. Literally, no one told me this was a thing.

It never occurred to me that a college would have such a problem with where I started that they would refuse to give me any sort of scholarship. Not only that, but I am unable to join any sort of honor's program, even though I'm beyond qualified.

You must be wondering then, why I chose to go to a school that refuses to help me. The truth is that I was able to look past it and just look at the education that was being offered to me. I love my school, and I feel very welcome and comfortable here, but I can't say I felt that way when I first applied.

It was explained to me in numbers why transfer students don't get the same treatment as the others, and I still think there's something to be done about it.

I'm a smart person that has worked hard to reap benefits that others get, and it really sucks that, just because I started at a community college, I receive nothing.