Starting A Bullet Journal Helped Me Express Myself, And Get My Act Together

My bullet journal is full of mistakes but it is apart of me.

73
Unsplash

Bullet Journaling is the new thing that is covering the internet, social media, and the Pinterest scene. It is for the list-makers, the artists, the people who want to stay organized, and for the people who just want to get their acts together! Well, this nifty thing is for you!

I've been bullet journaling for only 6-8 months (I haven't really been counting the months) but it has become an outlet, a place for me to write important dates, make lists of places I want to travel, and things I want to do! It has helped me relax, stay on top of assignments, and let my crafty brain-brain storm! Here are a few tips and tricks to get you started if you're interested in starting a bullet journal.

1. Find the right journal for you

A lot of the YouTubers I follow, like Boho Berry, and AmandaRachLee (just to name a few) use the Leuchtturm1917 Hardcover Journal. This is also the one I use. When I first started I bought a cheap little journal onAmazon. You can choose from dotted pages, blank pages, or squares. I personally like the squares. It is all about finding the perfect fit for you! I started with a cheap journal to figure out if this is what I wanted to do, and what fonts, and calendars and spreads that I liked best. (I'll get to the spread talk and fonts later.)

2. Figure out what you want to have in your journal and what spreads you like

Once you've decided what you want to have in your bullet journal this is where you can get creative. Honestly, my bullet journaling creativity has gone out of control. I have multiple pencil bags full of washi-tape, brush lettering markers, thin pens, and stencils. Making your pages full of doodles, and using washi-tape is what makes it fun, and lets your creative juices flow! Here are a few of my favorite products I use for my bullet journal:

Tombow Dual Brush Markers are perfect for making beautiful fonts, and bringing color to your doodles!

Washi Tape is perfect for borders, marking the edges of your pages, and if you're not artsy it is perfect to bring color and some sort of art and theme to your pages! I'm not a very good drawer, but I sure know how to stick tape to the pages and it really brings it to life with a pop!

These Fineliner Color Pens are perfect for beginners! These were the first pens I bought and I practiced with them with fonts, and lettering before I went and spent more money on better pens! They are perfect for to-do lists, doodles, and drawing out your monthly calendars!

And if you're not good at fancy lettering, and art...that's okay! I'm not good at either really, and there's a handy dandy thing Etsy creators have created! Stickers! These stickers are a great example of how they can bring color to your journal!

4. Your bullet journal doesn't have to be perfect

Learning that your bullet journal doesn't have to be perfect is something I still struggle with. I see all of these beautiful bullet journals on Instagram, Youtube, and Pinterest. I feel the pressure for my bullet journal to look as beautiful, which is hard when you don't have the artistic talent compared to the others posting.

It is okay to have white-out marks or to glue pages back to back because of mistakes. My bullet journal is full of mistakes, but it is apart of me. It is something I can look back on and see how much of a mess I was that month, but how much I grew, and how much I got done!

A bullet journal is about being organized and expressing yourself. It doesn't have to be beautiful.

I'm hoping this was helpful and has/will inspire others who have been hesitant about bullet journaling the push to start one!