Eat Right, Glow Up: How to Go on a Skin Diet During Lockdown

17

In the fight against acne, skincare alone often just doesn't cut it. Even if you have the perfect routine, outstanding products, and rigorous self-discipline when it comes to applying them, you can still keep on having breakouts.

If that's the case, it might be time to wage battle on a different front: your diet.

Scientific research has shown that what you eat - and when you eat it - has a massive impact on your skin health. Some foods can fuel inflammatory processes in your body that cause acne, others have the power to temper them.

The good news: Lockdown may have heaps of disadvantages and restrictions, but it also gives you the time to focus on your body and transition to a skin-boosting diet.

Here are the most important elements to keep in mind.

Steer Clear of Processed Carbs and Alcohol

The bad news first: There are a couple of foods you'll need to ditch for the sake of your skin. Processed sugar, red meat, and alcohol are on top of this list.

Processed carbohydrates, especially plain sugar, are absorbed lightning-fast into your bloodstream - making insulin levels jump. Insulin, in turn, can ramp up the production of androgen hormones like testosterone and insulin-like growth factor 1 (IGF-1). This combination causes skin cells to produce more pore-clogging sebum.

Alcohol affects your skin negatively by dehydrating your body and contributing to inflammatory processes. As much of a comfort quarantine day-drinking can be, it's on the to-quit list if you want to glow up.

However, there's a small consolation for fans of Margarita Monday: Studies have shown that red wine - in moderation! - has positive effects on health, including the appearance of your skin.

Binge on Fruit and Veggies

Did you know that you can get more of a healthy skin glow by eating vegetables than by basking in the sun? A study by the University of St. Andrews in Scotland proved just that.

The researchers found that carotenoids, antioxidants found in greens, are incredibly effective in limiting the damage that daily stress deals with your body. And make your skin look radiant.

The best bit about this particular study? The scientists found that the effect kicks in fast. Test subjects added two more portions of fruits and vegetables to their daily diets. Within just six weeks, their skin took on a healthy golden glow.

Basically, you can gorge yourself on fruit and veggies - and your skin will thank you for it.

Even if you're incredibly stressed, squeezing in a quick smoothie at some point of your day can do wonders when it comes to acne.

An added note: A study by Newcastle University found that in terms of skin-protecting antioxidants, organic food contains significantly higher levels of them. In other words: Stopping by a farmer's market can help you grow up faster.

Not all Healthy Foods are Acne-Healthy

It might seem counterintuitive, but not all healthy foods are actually good for your skin. There are some products that benefit you overall but also actually contain elements that can make your skin break out.

Shrimps and shellfish, for example, are high in protein and healthy omega-3 fatty acids. However, they also have high levels of zit-triggering iodine.

Soy, too, has a reputation for being a healthy substitute for many a temptation. However, according to Time, 90% of soy crops globally are genetically modified, maximizing protein content at the cost of healthiness. Soy is also loaded with phytoestrogens, which mimic estrogen. Eating too much of it can disturb your hormonal balance, wreaking havoc on your skin.

Another unexpected candidate on this list is nuts. Walnuts, pine nuts, and almonds are all rich in omega-3 and omega-6 essential fatty acids. In themselves, these are extremely healthy. However, going overboard and eating too much of these omega-6 fatty acids can trigger inflammation. And, in turn, acne.

Beware the Detox Breakout

Finally, a word of warning. When you transition to a healthy skin diet, your acne may actually get worse at first.

This is called a detox breakout. It doesn't mean that your strategy isn't working - just that your whole body has to adapt to a different diet.

When you switch to a healthy diet, toxins that have been stored in your body are released, causing inflammatory processes and, yes, acne.

The bright side? It takes a few weeks at most to flush these toxins out of your body. After that, you'll be fully detoxed, and set to glow up with your new skin diet.