Starbucks: #MerryChristmasStarbucks, Or #ItsJustACup

Which side are you on?

24
Google

With December closely approaching, ‘tis the season to be jolly, right? That was what Starbucks thought when it launched its annual holiday cup line on Nov. 1. But instead of bringing cups of cheer, it brought cups of controversy.

For several years now, customers grew accustom to receiving a red cup at this time of the year instead of Starbucks’ signature white. The only difference between this year and the past is that 2015’s design is just red with the bottom being darker than the top, nothing added on. Those before it had other designs across the cup such as snowflakes and ornaments.

2015's design.

Where does the controversy come in? Some customers feel that without additional artwork associated with Christmas, Starbucks is trying to distance itself from the holiday as well as Christ, at least according to Joshua Feuerstein.

Feuerstein published a video via Facebook, which has since then went viral.

The video begins with Feuerstein saying, "I think in the age of political correctness we become so open-minded our brains have literally fallen out of our head. Do you realize that Starbucks wanted to take Christ and Christmas off of their brand new cups? That’s why they’re just plain red." He continues to state that he wants to take it a step further and instead of boycotting, start a movement "#MerryChristmasStarbucks." “Choose to not be political correct,’ just correct,” Feuerstein finishes.

There are others that agree with Feuerstein, but it is not Starbucks that is receiving the most flack. It is actually the "movement." The whole fiasco is taking Twitter by storm and has even inspired several memes.

Starbucks has responded by posting an article "The Story Behind the Design of Starbucks Red Holiday Cups" under its news section of its website.

The article describes this year's cup as "a two-toned ombré design, with a bright poppy color on top that shades into a darker cranberry below." It features several quotes from the vice president of Design and Content, Jeffrey Fields. At one point he is quoted, "In the past, we have told stories with our holiday cups designs. This year we wanted to usher in the holidays with a purity design that welcomes all of stories."

Those stories being created by the customer as the simple red serves as a "blank canvas" for stories to be doodled. Fields says Starbucks just wants to embrace "simplicity and quietness" of the holiday season through the red cup.

So #MerryChristmasStarbucks or #ItsJustACup?