Starbucks Probably Gets Your Name Wrong On Purpose And It Is Genius

Get past the name and you might enjoy the coffee a bit more.

113
Tory Thomas

I was talking to my friend a couple of months ago about why the baristas at Starbucks never seem to get my name right on my coffee when they write it on the cup.

There is always an extra “re” or “ie” or “i,” there was even one time where they wrote my name as “Jordan” which was actually really funny to me, I must say.

Granted, there are multiple occasions where hearing the person's name is difficult due to a loud atmosphere; thus, I give all the baristas out there a round of applause for the effort because I can imagine the frustration of getting a name right with a crying baby, continuous conversations, coffee machines, and background music as distractions.

Even so, the barista still places the name on the cup and although I’m pleased he/she was able to write it down with the chaos that may or may not be the environment, I still can’t get over the fact that they never write it correctly unless I spell it out for them.

This is where my interest in the topic peaked with our conversation – he said that they do it on purpose as a marketing tactic.

Think about it - they write your name wrong, you advertise it on social media whether it be Snapchat, Instagram, whatever, your friends and followers see it and they are tempted to go to Starbucks as well, not because they want to do the same, but because they now want coffee too.

How many times have you come across someone's story of Starbucks and thought wow that looks good, and you end up going to Starbucks?

If you’re anything like me, the answer is all. the. time!!!

I was so amazed by the tactic because I started to realize that more than just Starbucks would probably benefit from it too, and they probably do!

I know for a fact when I see someone with Dunkin‘ Donuts coffee or an advertisement for Coca-Cola, best believe I am in that grocery store buying my 12-pack of Diet Coke just because I saw it on Snapchat. And, I have no shame.

Starbucks has some amazing marketing tactics that continue to help their business thrive, become more popular, and reach levels of the business world that set the standard for many others — one of which was the closing on May 29 for racial bias employee training.

Well done, Starbucks. Now, if you’ll excuse me, I’m going to get my butt over there and get some coffee...or to the grocery store for some Diet Coke. Whichever I see on social media first I guess.