Starbucks Is Not Just A $4 Cup Of Coffee

It's an experience.

21
ABC News
"I think drink, therefore I am."
- (Sort of) René Descartes

In 2007, when our first Starbucks opened in my suburban hometown of Crestwood, KY, this sentiment has been my mantra. Well known for its made-to-order coffee and hipster baristas, Starbucks has been around since 1971. It was the company's anticipated arrival in my zip code that began a love that persists to this day. Nearly a decade later, Starbucks is still my second home.

Perhaps the origin of my emotional connection to the brand has to do with timing. The opening of the Crestwood store occurred around a turbulent time in my family. That year, my grandmother was diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer. Today she is cancer free, but her diagnosis came with with frightening statistics. I was eleven years-old and I had never lost anyone close to me. To take our minds off of the future, a trip to Starbucks became the distraction that my mom and I desperately needed.

I will say upfront that Starbucks has never been just a $4 cup of coffee to me, primarily because I have never just drank coffee. I developed a taste for their Chai Creme Frappuccinos, for their Carmel Macchiatos, and their Shaken Teas. My mom and I would take long drives in the car and start with a visit to Starbucks. We would take the long way home and talk about life: how short it seems, how unfair it is, and yet how wonderful it can be. Sometimes we would—and still do—get dressed up and do our hair just right so we can skip the drive-thru and enjoy the beautifully noisy environment that you can find at any Starbucks. We even bought a pair of signature green aprons so we could take the Starbucks experience home with us.

Visits like these have carried me through a lot. In 2008, Starbucks was the place I wept when I did experience my first loss. My beautiful, wonderful cousin Jacob passed away suddenly at only three years old. I was consoled by my dad: he took me through the Starbucks drive-thru for a frappuccino, which I barely even drank. In 2010, my parents were getting divorced and Starbucks was oddly a neutral ground that was immune to my mom moving out and my dad selling my childhood home. During a time of change, Starbucks stayed the same — the baristas still knew me by name and my order by heart.

The "Starbucks Experience" is real. No matter which Starbucks you go to, you will meet like-minded people who are also complete individuals. They are indistinguishable by their green aprons and kindness, yet distinguishable by piercings, tattoos, and hair colors. Starbucks has an experience experience that I have yet to find at any other franchise store or restaurant. The Starbucks I frequent now is close to my new home in Louisville. Every day this summer I have visited at least once a day. I usually go with my mom and my labradors, Jack and Holly. Not only do my baristas know us by our mobile order, but they know that our order always includes two complimentary puppuccinos. Perhaps the best barista we've ever had is Seth, who greets my dogs by name when we are ordering: "Hey Jack and Holly!" he says, either seeing them sticking their nose out the window or hearing Jack's very recognizable bark.

Starbucks has had such a positive experience on my life. It is where me and my mom go for mother-daughter time. In high school, it's where my friends and I hung out after school. It was home to study groups and coffee dates, to deep conversations and the funniest moments of my life. At college, the nearest Starbucks is 45 minutes away and my boyfriend never hesitates to drive me when we're celebrating or I'm feeling low.

This is why I sometimes cringe at the jokes and memes made at the Starbucks-goer's expense. Sure, the drinks are expensive, but they are an indulgence. If you think it's cheaper to make your coffee or tea at home, then you are welcome to. Just remember that when I dish out a few extra dollars for a Starbucks drink, I am paying for an experience as well as a product. You are even free to call me a "Basic White Girl" if that is synonymous with "A Person Who Love Starbucks A Lot." I will order my Pumpkin Spice Latte in the fall, and you will joke about me and so many others like me. I will take my selfie with my cup and make sure the whole world knows that Starbucks is more than a company, a brand, or a product: it's a place of I've come to call home.