5 Things To Do Over Spring Break When You’re Too Broke To Hit The Beach

I promise, "get ahead on your homework" isn't one of them.

101
CC0 Creative Commons

It’s nearly become a rite of passage in American culture these days for college students to abandon campus come March and head to the nearest beach to get turn en mass.

But if you’re like me, your bank account may not exactly reflect that tradition. Or maybe your manager is pure evil, and has a “no asking off over break” rule, so you’re stuck in your college town. That doesn’t mean your spring break is doomed to be disappointing, here’s 10 things you can do to make use of that sweet, sweet week off.

1. Take Up a New Hobby

Always wanted to give archery a try? Never had the bravery to try your hand at taking a dance class? Now’s a great time to give it a shot! Bring a friend, or go solo. With no school to come the next day, it’s a great time to delve into something brand new, no strings attached.

2. Take Up An "Old" Hobby

We all have that one thing that we loved to do in high school, but since we hit the books at college… it may have fallen to the wayside. For me, that would be creative writing. With a whole seven days of no classes, there’s plenty of time to return to that long-lost love that used to bring you so much joy.

3. Read. No, really.

When is the last time you actually sat down with a book? And no, textbooks and required reading don’t count. Head to a local bookstore, and pick up a title that calls to you. It’s easy to forget just how fun reading can be, but even easier to remember once you get back into it.

4. Explore Your City

We all fell head over heels for our college towns when we first toured the campus, thinking “oh, it would be so cool to live here!” Since having that thought, have you ever taken a day to actually explore it? Here’s a tip: act like a tourist in your own town, like you’re on a road trip and you need to look up some things to do while you’re passing through. Find pamphlets, traveler’s guides, and websites pointing you in the right direction.

5. Do Nothing at All

There’s a certain beauty in just vegging out. However, hanging upside down off the couch watching Netflix isn’t quite as satisfying when you know you have an exam the next morning or a paper due next week. Take this opportunity to really, truly relax without the guilt of being unproductive looming over you.