Spring Break: The 7 Lessons I Learned

Spring Break: The 7 Lessons I Learned

9

Skimpy swimsuits, endless alcohol consumption and raging house parties: these are three things I was somewhat concerned about going into my first spring break as a sorority girl.I survived six days in a house of 22 girls and can honestly say I had a blast. No vacation is great without some stories and learning experiences. So, here is what I learned.1. Never expect to have your own food in a crowded house.  Even with keeping our food separated in different cabinets, a few nights of drunk eating passed and, suddenly, I was missing a whole box of pizza rolls.  

2. Guys get evicted. Whether they fail to bring someone twenty-five or older or have three ragers in a row, it happens sooner or later. This means homeless guys looking for somewhere to shack, which leads me to my next point.   

3. No matter what you plan, there will be shackers. We had them in our house, nightly, and that meant people without beds. We may or may not have slept five in a king size bed  

4. Being on the uncool side of the beach isn’t necessarily a bad thing. Because we booked our house a little later than normal, our house was in the God-forsaken 1900s. Little did I know, it’s better than the popular side. I got to lay out without hundreds of people running wild, but I could still get in the action and walk or cab it if I wanted.  

5. You don’t need nice clothes. I dressed cute like I was out for a night in Tigerland, but most people had on the swimsuits they’d worn all day without a shower.  Whatever, I liked looking good.        

6. Gulf Shores taxis are cheap. With an insanely low percentage of sober people, taxis are often the best option. They’ll take you all the way down the beach for a few bucks, a much better mode of transportation than a drunk driver. 

7. It’s the perfect way to make new friends.  Whether I was becoming closer with the girls who have been my sisters for several months or meeting crazy frat guys on the beach, I got closer to and became friends with a lot of people. Hopefully, these will hold on now that the spring break fun is done and finals are approaching. We can share notes, right?