Why Having Allergies Is Like Being In A Bad Relationship
Health Wellness

Allergies: because your immune system kinda hates you.

102

Allergies have the reigns on your life, and it's a struggle to live with them. In a way, they're a lot like a bad relationship. Here's why:

You can't go anywhere without them.

Everyone enjoys time to themselves sometimes, but it's especially annoying when you can't get away.

They always know where you are.

Once Upon A Time Challenge GIF - Find & Share on GIPHYGiphy

There is no tricking or evading the questions. If you're around nature, they know. Trying to take extra medication to prepare or your friend is putting the dog that you're allergic to outside? Nope, won't work. Your allergies will find out and you'll react to not just that dog, but the dog that your friend had seven years ago in their old house.

There's usually a fight every day.  

Not a day goes by without an uphill battle. You can take medication and go most of the day without symptoms, but, at some point, you may still experience a small itch. Even the best medications can't protect against everything.

You're walking on eggshells trying not to upset them.

Sneak Sneaking GIF - Find & Share on GIPHYGiphy

Like I said, they know your surroundings, so that means we have to be careful. Food allergies need to stay away from those foods. Fur allergies need to stay away from those animals. Adjustments are required for every day life. It's only a little sad when I can't pet a nice dog when I'm out and about.

They seem to know your next move. 

It's your body, so it makes sense that it would know everything about what's around you, but it's still surprising how much allergies keep you on your toes.

Sometimes they fuck you up a little extra.

Lisa Simpson Sneezing GIF - Find & Share on GIPHYGiphy

A new meaning behind "you got me so fucked up" is discovered on any given day. You get used to what's considered your normal allergy level and then all of a sudden-- BAM-- you get hit by a truck. Have you ever seen a human being "melt"?

They get controlling and needy. 

Adjustments are required to live the least symptomatic life we can. And, when something comes up, they are not shy about making their presence known.

There's no such thing as "budding romance" in the springtime.

Sick Snot GIF - Find & Share on GIPHYGiphy

Spring time is especially bad because of the new plant growth and pollen levels. As much as we'd love to go on cute dates all the time, sometimes we just can't. As disgusting as it sounds, the spring is time to learn about the inside of your face, especially when you have seasonal allergies on top of what you already experience.

Or anytime for that matter, it's pretty much disappointing year-round.

Your immune system just hates you. Can someone explain why some of us have pollen allergies in the middle of winter? Isn't everything supposed to be dead? Tell that to my sneezing fits and itchy eyes.

A silver-lining though: you're three steps ahead and know how to keep the ceiling up.

Mel B Good Luck GIF by America's Got Talent - Find & Share on GIPHYGiphy

At least you've usually had allergies for long enough at this point that you know tips and tricks on how to survive. You're experienced and prepared for whatever tries to tear you down. So good luck as we head into another year of allergies, whether they are seasonal or continuous, and if anyone has any secret tips, let me know.