E-Sports Traditions Of World Championships

A history of E-Sports World Championships.

29
www.unsplash.com

E-Sports has a trend where the World Championships typically ends around the Fall season. Regardless of the genre of videogame, from fighting games to shooting games to MOBAs to mobile games, the season seems to end within Fall.

E-Sports are all considered different and play differently similarly to physical sports, for example, comparing basketball to hockey. The reason that E-Sports all seem within the Fall Season is to familiarize gamers with a set time schedule for E-Sports. E-Sports organizations are able to have major tournaments, have smaller tournaments throughout the year, and then ending the year on a last Major tournament, which is usually the World Championships for the given E-Sports.

I believe since it is tradition for E-Sports to end within the Fall Season, the trend of E-Sports ending within the Fall Season will continue, regardless of whether or not E-Sports surpasses sports in viewership and revenue in the future, due to the nature of how the gaming community sees E-Sports.

Knowledge of the timing of World Championships in E-Sports allows gamers to efficiently schedule a time to view all different types of games within a certain time frame since a gamer is able to familiarize the time of most E-Sports World Championships starts and ends in the Fall season.

Typically, the time cycle for an E-Sport is to begin in late December or early January. From there, the normal season will continue, and there may be a major around February to April, depending on the format of the E-Sport or what genre of game the E-Sport is.

At this point, most E-Sports may continue their season and then have a miniature Finals for the season, determining who is the best player or team of a certain E-Sport. This happens typically within a certain season, and in this case, the Spring season. After the Spring Season ends, there tends to be a few weeks break before a Summer season starts.

The cycle of the Summer season is very similar to that of the Spring season, where players continue to play against each other in a regular season, there may be a few major tournaments that happen in between the Summer Season, and the season ends again in a final tournament for the season. The Summer season tournament is considered more valuable than the Spring season tournament since it shows which players or teams may be the frontrunners for the World Championship that occurs in the Fall Season.

After the summer tournament ends and the winners are determined, a World Championship occurs, where the best players or teams meet up and try to fight for a shot at the title of the World Championships. Of course, the formatting for all videogames can be entirely different. For example, fighting games have a World Championship called EVO, where any amount of players can come and participate and determine which player makes it to the top.

However, during World Championship season, or the Fall season, teams face off against one another for about a one month duration and a World Championship is determined. After the World Championships, there is a break in the Winter to prepare again for the Spring Season.

Overall, E-Sports is a sport that extends over the course of three seasons. Starting from the Spring season, which is the beginning of the season to help teams or players familiarize themselves with the new season. Next, being the Summer season which helps determine who may be the front runners in the Fall Season, or World Championships. Lastly, the World Championships, to determine who truly is the best player or team for the given year, which is usually a very prestigious title to hold as an E-Sports athlete.