Scary Movies To Watch This Halloween

5 Spooky Movies To Spice Up Your Halloween

Grab your boo (or your blanket) and cozy up on the couch for these films!

29
https://www.everypixel.com/image-12901293845436368285

The weather is cooling down, the night is coming more quickly, and Halloween is just around the corner. You know what that means: discounted candy and spooky movie marathons! Here's a short list of options for you to choose from!

1. "The Conjuring" (2013).

Characterized as a supernatural horror film, this one was by far the most terrifying for me to watch. A family buys an old house and finds that it has more problems than just the plumbing – if you know what I mean. If possessed dolls and possessed people are your thing, and if you enjoy jump scares by way of slamming doors, then this movie is for you.

[As a side note, the writers behind the "Conjuring" films are brothers who are committed Christians.]

2. "The Babadook" (2014).

While objectively creepy, this movie is more weird than terrifying. A mother struggles with grieving her dead husband while her son is convinced that a monster lives in their home. The ending is unexpected, leaving viewers slightly unsettled. If you enjoy a movie that has an underlying theme that you can philosophize about, then "The Babadook" is a must.

3. "A Quiet Place" (2018).

With minimal dialogue, this movie forces you to watch it with focus. A small family tries to survive in a world where making a sound can get you killed. A few stressful scenarios and scary monsters give just enough jump scares, and the plot provides an interesting story that is easy to follow.

4. "Something Wicked This Way Comes" (1983).

If you like your movies with a dark twist, then this thriller is for you. A traveling circus comes to town, and almost immediately, creepy things begin happening. It's an old one, but the creepy plot more than makes up for the lack of CGI. It was one of the only movies that I found disturbing and eerie without jump scares.

5. "IT" (2017).

Appropriate jump scares and a killer clown are enough to make this movie scary. However, the storyline has enough substance to make it worth the watch. A group of kids band together to face their respective fears and a killer clown. The dramatic effect is level with the scare effect, making it easier to watch than some of the others. This movie brings you back to your own childhood when your fears and nightmares seemed undefeatable and larger than life.