Speaking Out On Violence Against Women #YesAllWomen

7

Elliot Rodger is not a hero to men who feel lonely, he is not someone to feel sorry for, and his murder rampage should not go unnoticed and put aside as another tragic college shooting.

On May 24th 2014, 22-year-old college student, Elliot Rodger, son of the second unit director of the Hunger Games, Peter Rodger, murdered six people and injured thirteen in his violent shooting in Santa Barbara, California. His killing spree, in his twisted mind, was because girls failed to give him what he wanted, what he irrationally thought he 'deserved.' So, he instead gave these women what he thought they 'deserved,' “You denied me a happy life, and in turn I will deny all of you life,” Rodger’s said in his video days before the shooting titled “Elliot Rodger’s Retribution."

In this revolting YouTube post, he blames society for torturing him with rejection and loneliness, blames humanity for its' cruelty towards an “alpha male” such as himself, and blames women for not giving him what he ultimately wanted: sex.  Repeatedly, he accuses the female race that he is a virgin because of them. He was condemning everyone and everything but himself. He is neither a true man nor someone to feel sorry for, he is a disgusting and disturbing human being and the tragedy that he has caused for the students of UC Santa Barbara and for the nation in its entirety is heartbreaking.         

Men, or even women, similar to Rodger that have the same troubling mentalities terrify me. As I watched his creepy retribution video and heard his haunting laugh, he spoke freely about his planned “slaughter” and acted as if he was justified in his accusations and beliefs. I could feel my jaw clench and fists tighten turning my knuckles white as I glared at his face with pure hatred and repulsion. I thought these kinds of crimes were only dramatized in shows like Criminal Minds or Law and Order, "this couldn’t happen in real life," I thought to myself. But there he was, using words like 'slaughter,' 'slay,' and planning his sorority row massacre. And even worse, as I scrolled through the comments on his YouTube Channel, people actually felt sorry for him and sympathized with him. They too blamed women for not fulfilling Rodger’s sexual desires and many comments approved of his murderous actions. Not only did Rodger himself make me sick, but those comments made me feel even worse. How can people agree with this sicko?         

Rodger targeted the beautiful women of the UCSB campus and specifically declared that he would target the women that represent rejection towards him and the sexually active men he envied, and eventually would murder them all.  “On the day of retribution, I am going to enter the hottest sorority house on campus and I will slaughter every single spoiled, stuck up, blonde slut I see inside there. All those girls that I’ve desired…” he said with an eerie glint in his eyes. The 7-minute video itself is extremely unnerving and the mentally insane way Rodger thinks is truly unbelievable. He has no right to think of women this way and I cannot reiterate how sickening this whole ordeal is.          

At Michigan State, we are surrounded by beautiful Greek and non-Greek affiliated women on campus. These women are some of my best friends, my sisters, and my fellow Spartans. To these girls, I want to tell you that having respect for yourself, having standards, and simply saying no is perfectly normal and fine, and you should never feel bad turning someone down if you don’t feel comfortable or simply have no interest in them. Never feel pressured to do something that you don’t want to do. To the individuals that foolishly post comments or say things like women should’ve given Rodger what he wanted or should’ve been more open, I say screw you. Rodger was a spoiled, disturbed kid and it is no one’s fault but his own, and maybe his parents, for not helping him when he was desperately seeking attention from his other YouTube videos, that led him to kill and injure 18 students in his ridiculous, so-called retribution.         

I pray for the families and students that have lost someone in this unwarranted hate crime. I am so sorry that this world has become so twisted and that people like Rodger are able to make such scary actions a reality only to further motivate the mentally ill. And I hope that women understand that it is not their fault and to never succumb to a man’s desires if the feeling is not mutual. There are good men out there that respect us as sisters, mothers, daughters, friends, etc. and there are men out there that simply don’t. Be true to who you are, stand up for your beliefs, stand up for your bodies and yourselves. There is no room for me to pity or feel bad for Elliot Rodger, I just hope that people see how awful his actions were and understand how very wrong this is. My heart goes out the friends and families that have been affected by this tragedy and rest in peace to those that have been killed.