For Sparty's Sake: Give Old Farts A Chance

Adopt an older animal and have your life forever changed for the better.

3
Arnisays.com

He may have had a home. It's hard to know.

He was found on the porch of a kind individual, shaking from the weather. Eventually, he ended up at a shelter, unable to see his journey, straining to hear what he could.

At the shelter, he found a lot of love, consistently having new, fluffy blankets that made up a fabulous corner of comfort in the normally cold cage. Every day he went on leisurely walks around the premises, soaking up the sun, the smells, and most of all, the love of his volunteer friends. People understood his needs, talking him loudly through the walk, so he knew when to take the stairs or take a big step. His friends also kept him from bumping his head on things as much as they could. Sometimes, his friends sat in his cage, giving him pets and love, reading him a story or playing some music. He was a true favorite, recognized and fawned over by many a volunteer and staff member. Even though his trips to the medical department were scary; his friends made him feel better, reassuring him that those trips were simply to make sure everything was running smoothly.

After falling in to a routine in paradise filled with love, pets, sunshine, walks, and friends; one of those trips to medical became scary. They took his blood, and he had to go back a lot sooner than he was used to. Next thing he knew, his friends in the medical department were talking more quietly than usual, and he felt wetness on his fur. He did not understand what was going on. Eventually, he fell back into his routine, but he found that he was receiving many more visits and yummy treats from his friends. They also talked a lot more quietly than usual, and, like when he was in medical, he felt a wetness on his fur. Some of his friends gave him some really yummy, greasy human food from something called "fast" food. He did not understand why it was fast, as he moved slowly, because of his arthritis, but also because he savored every moment to the fullest. One day, he was taken into a cold room, but he knew his friends from medical, and two of his very good volunteer friends were there. Something smelled different. He felt what he knew to be a "shot" in his body, and fell into a very deep, forever sleep, leaving the paradise of the shelter for the paradise of the afterlife, where all of his aches and pains left him and he could run around like a young puppy once more.

He was Sparty. His story stands in for all too many dogs, cats, rabbits, and other animals around the country. He was older, but he was the perfect gentleman, who taught me that, sometimes, slowing down and savoring every moment of life is absolutely what you need to do.

If someone had given him a chance, he would have made them very happy, and very loved. No one did. He got sick, too sick to maintain a good quality of life, so he was put to sleep.

Just because they're older, doesn't mean they are not full of love and life. For Sparty's sake, give senior animals a chance.