25 Times You've Had Absolutely No Clue What These Southern Phrases Meant

It's basically a whole other language.
1217

I've come to believe that the South has its own language. I think it's time to actually recognize it globally. There are so many expressions that are used in the South but these are the few I use the most.

1. "Bless your heart"

This one can either be sincere or an insult. Ex: "My classes are wearing me out" "Oh bless your heart"

2. "Get the short end of the stick"

It's usually when someone gets the bad end of a situation. Ex: "Did you hear about the layoffs at my husband's company? He got the short end of the stick."

3. "You're barking up the wrong tree"

When you pick the wrong person to do something. Ex: "You're barking up the wrong tree if you expect me to clean up your mess."

4. "I'm fixin' too"

Another way to say about to. Ex: "I'm fixin' to go to the store if you want anything."

5. "I reckon"

Another way to say I guess or I assume. Ex: "I reckon you could go to the movies."

6. "Hold your horses"

Be patient. Ex: Woah now, hold your horses."

7. "Buggy"

A shopping cart. Ex: Go to the front of the store and get me a buggy."

8. "Britches"

The term for pants. Ex: "Pull up your britches."

9. "Hissy fit"

A tantrum. Ex: "Stay away, she's having a hissy fit."

10. "Coke"

It doesn't matter if it's Dr. Pepper, Pepsi, or any other soft drink. They're all Coke. "Can you get me a Coke out of the fridge?"

11. "Pot to piss in"

Poor. Ex: "They don't have a pot to piss in."

12. "Who let the floodgates open"

I use this one when there's a bunch of cars coming from the same direction nonstop. Ex: "Who in Talladega let the floodgates open?"

13. "Tore up"

Broken. Ex: "The care is tore up"

14. "Get off the pot"

To make a decision or in my driving, get out of the way. Ex: "The car in front of me needs to get off the pot."

15. "Don't bite off more than you can chew"

Take on a task you can't complete. Ex: "He bit off more than he could chew."

16. "Madder than a wet hen"

Very angry. Ex: "She was madder than a wet hen after hearing about the situation."

17. "Yonder"

Another way to say there. Ex: "Let's go over yonder."

18. "If the creek don't rise"

If a natural disaster happens. Ex: "I'll be there Lord willing if the creek don't rise."

19. "Worn slap out"

Exhausted. Ex: "I was worn slap out after work."

20. "Hush your mouth"

Another way to say shut up. Ex: You better hush your mouth."

21. "Skat cat"

Usually said after someone sneezes. Ex: "Achoo!" "Skat cat"

22. "Chicken with your head cut off"

Running around like crazy. Ex: "The students were running around like a chicken with their head cut off."

23. "Y'all"

You all. Ex: "Y'all come over here and eat."

24. "You ain't from around here"

You're not from here. Ex: "Y'all ain't from around here are you?"

25. "Pray tell"

Demanding an answer or reason. Ex: "Pray tell me why she said that about me."