Southern Smash Comes to LSU

Southern Smash Comes to LSU

An explanation to why people were smashing scales on the parade grounds.

24
LSU.edu

This month, the Southern Smash Company visited LSU's campus. But what exactly is Southern Smash?

Southern Smash was founded in November 2012 to bring greater awareness to eating disorders in our society. It is not secret that it is considered "normal" in today's society to suffer from poor body image and negative self-talk. So Southern Smash set out to change this way of thinking and create a new "normal" that focuses on positive self-image and self-talk. The company hosts panel discussions, gives handouts, provides support groups and most importantly, smashes scales.

"Smashing scales" means exactly what it sounds like. Those interested are invited to a free scale smashing. Participants write down something that is holding them back, whether that be an eating disorder, their weight, an ex-boyfriend, fear of failure, anxiety or more, and place it on the scale. They are then given a sledge hammer to literally smash that scale to pieces, along with the burden they've written down. Later that night, founder and chief smasher, McCall Dempsey, gave a talk about her history of struggles with eating disorders, treatment and how to win this battle.

After battling it for 15 years, McCall Dempsey is passionate about helping others recover from eating disorders. And upon recovering at the Carolina House in 2010, she has made spreading the word of eating disorders and the prevention of it her life's work and passion. She travels to many different high schools, treatment centers and corporate meetings to share her message of self-appreciation and loving who you are. Currently, McCall writes for her personal blog, "Loving Imperfection" and has been featured in various print and online publications.

While Southern Smash travels around the country hosting these events, it was an even special occasion in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, where it originated. McCall Dempsey was "coming home."

Southern Smash's main goal is to educate people on eating disorders, help those suffering with it overcome and "empower women to celebrate and embrace true beauty and self-love."