A South Georgia Partnership With Charity And Business To Feed The Hungry

What the Society of St. Andrews, GTB Farms, and Volunteers are Doing for Food Insecure Households

37
St. Andrews Gleaning Network

Did you know that 17.7% of people living in Georgia are food insecure (http://acfb.org/facts-stats) and 26/1% of children live in food insecure households? Meanwhile, billions of pounds of food is thrown away every year (USDA). The issue is not a lack of food, but opportunity. If people in their communities work together, they can bridge the gap and bless the less fortunate. The good news is there are organizations and businesses that are doing just that, and YOU can help!

Society of St. Andrews

I followed the lead of a Facebook event listing that sprung up suddenly on my news feed. I love following local farmers and found GTB Farms this year during strawberry season. So I see this event for donating food to the hungry via U-Pick veggie crop picking and thought I'd show up to learn more. I met Sandi Newman and Michelle Cade of the Society of St. Andrew and they asked "Did you come to Glean today?" I looked at my little one and said, "Yes Ma'am!" So we walked the field with our gallon bucket in search of salvageable produce in the weedy end-of-season crop as Michelle shared more with me about their wonderful organization.

The Gleaning Network and GTB Farms

The Gleaning Network is one of the programs in conjunction with the Society of St. Andrews--America's Premier Food Rescue and Distribution Ministry. "Gleaning is the traditional biblical practice of gathering crops that would otherwise be left in the fields to rot, or be plowed under after harvest"(endhunger.org). The gleaning program is extremely cost effective because it relies on volunteers of all ages to harvest salvageable food from the crops before it is plowed. Much of the food makes it to the tables of the hungry within 48 hours and does not go to waste. While gleaning under the hot sun during the buggiest time of the year, I have a new appreciation for Ruth in the Bible (she found favor with Boaz when he saw her gleaning in the field). It was a great blessing to take my child out to the farm to learn about vegetable farming while getting sunshine and exercise and then to know that every piece of produce picked will help those in need!

When and Where Is the Next Event in Valdosta?

On Thursday morning, July 13, Georgia Gleaning Network representatives will be out at GTB Farms on 3463 Knight's Academy Road gleaning food for the hungry from 7:30-10:30 am. If you bring $8 cash, you can pick some produce for your household and support the local farmer's business; otherwise just come pick and donate your pickings to the cause! As noted in their brochure, this is a great opportunity for "individuals, church groups, civic organizations, and school groups!" Opportunities such as this come around as the Society of St. Andrews is able to coordinate with local farms. To be in the know about future volunteer opportunities in our area, check out http://endhunger.org/georgia. You can also contact them directly to schedule a gleaning for your community group to get involved in.

Know Before You Go

When you show up to volunteer, you must fill out a brief consent form to cover the liability of the farmers and the organization. Be prepared to give a family or friend contact in case of an emergency, notify them of any allergies, and provide the date of last Tetanus shot if applicable. I found today's representatives to be very helpful in sharing information about which parts of the field were good to work in and where it might be easiest to take my little one to pick! Comfortable walking shoes are a must and I would recommend closed toe shoes if possible. Since the crops are at the end of their season, there is a lot of grass and weed overgrowth to walk around so dress according, exercise caution, and bring water, sun screen, and bug spray for yourself and your children. Lastly, I would recommend a Bounce Dryer sheet under your hat and some sunglasses to keep the South Georgia gnats out of your eyes.

A Word of Thanks

Thank you so much GTB Farms for your generosity in allowing volunteers to glean from your field for people who are hungry. Thank you Sandi Newman and Michelle Cade for your work as Hunger Relief Advocates to our area and giving us an opportunity to participate in hands-on ministry. Here are some words posted from their Facebook Feed:

"We've been busy the past couple days! With almost 40 volunteers, we were able to glean over 12,000 pounds of sweet corn! All the corn went to agencies in Georgia to feed our hungry neighbors! A very special thank you to Concrete Jungle, Cross Ministries, and all our volunteers. We couldn't have done it without you!"

I'm thinking if 40 volunteers could glean 12,000 pounds of sweet corn, just imagine how much can be done if a few more hands join the work? Please share this information with everyone you know in South Georgia and spread the work of this ministry!