sounds you hear in summer

Five Sounds Associated with Summer

Yeah... it is a series now I guess.

11
David and Les Jacobs

Much like the last time I wrote a piece on this, it was about the unique sounds you hear every spring and how they become part of the daily soundtrack of your life as you go through the spring months. Well this time around is for the summer... and things are reduced to their cores as the unrelenting force that heats this planet, allows life to flourish, and makes us slightly uncomfortable, continues to beat down on us for what can only be described as "dog days". While it has been a rainy and odd summer here in Connecticut, these are some of the sounds I'm sure you've heard plenty of this past summer...

Complaining about how hot it is

There always seems to be some special comradery when it comes to complaining about how hot it is. Everyone is sweating and having something, whether it's their makeup, clothes, or sanity, everything becomes worse as it bakes in the Sun. The heat is a thick blanket that leaves an obvious impact on everyone it touches, so I guess it's only right that we do the very human thing of banding together and having a good ol' complain about how d**n hot it is.

The suction sound of your skin sticking to everything

Now this may be considered a little graphic, but there is nothing pretty about being covered in water your own body excretes and that forms a nice seal between it and whatever your skin has to be touching. It is never a good look and only serves as a cruel reminder that you're not getting out of this heat or away from this sweat any time soon.

Chugging water

Hydration. It's an important part of staying cool and keeping your body going during the hot summer months, and there's nothing like a good chug to speed up the whole process or get a quick refill. It may be good for the person drinking it, but the loud glugging sound the naturally comes from it isn't the most pleasant thing to hear when you're trying to concentrate on something like driving.

Fans flapping

Anyone who has ever been to a baseball game or the beach during the summer has definitely heard the sounds of all those tiny little fans spinning in the wind trying their best to cool the occupant down, unsuccessfully mainly. They're either battery-operated and basically worthless or paper fans that may make you feel a bit more stylish but are still about as good as waving a handkerchief in the humidity.

The sounds of trying to get the A/C to work

Whether you're trying to get the old gal running again for the summer or installing a unit that fits in your window, there's probably plenty of frustration and cussing to come from getting the A/C to actually work. Knowing that you're so close to actually getting cool while getting hotter in the process from the blood rushing to your head is sometimes a sight to behold, but not great to hear as the whole scene can quickly turn into the summer version of A Christmas Story.