Creative Writing: Soul Sisters

Creative Writing: Soul Sisters

Chapter 6 of 8
10

When I was ten years old, two years after we moved to Hawthorne, the worst day of my life occurred. It was a normal day. I went to school, hung out with London, and came home. I found out that I had gotten the lead in the school play and my mom was making my favorite dinner— as far as I was concerned, it was the best day ever. We were waiting for my dad to come home to eat dinner. He had told us he was going to be a little late, so after an hour went by, we were not that worried. But two went by. Then three. My mom was trying to call him but there was no response. Then it happened.

The phone rang and my mom picked up.

“Hello… Yes, this is she… Oh my… No… No…”

She began to cry.

“Yes… I understand… We’ll be right there.”

She hung up the phone.

“What’s the matter?” I asked her immediately.

“Sweetheart, dad has been in an car accident.The doctors don’t know if he’s going to be okay, so we need to get to the hospital right away, alright?”

I just nodded and silently followed her out to the car.

When we arrived at the hospital, my dad had already died. I never even got the chance to say goodbye to him. It still haunts me to this day.

Right after he passed away, I dreamt of him frequently, but as the years went on, it happened less and less. It is for this reason that I knew the fact he was in my dream that night was definitely for a special purpose.

I saw him in my dream as if he was standing right in front of me— like nothing had ever happened and we were having a regular conversation. It felt so real. He was smiling his usual larger than life smile that always used to make me feel better, and wearing his favorite New York Yankees t-shirt and baseball cap.

“Hi, Pari” he said, calling me his favorite nickname that only he ever called me.

“Dad?! I… is it really you?”

He laughed his hearty laugh that could make anyone instantly happy.

“Of course it’s me, Paris! C’mon now, don’t you recognize your own father?”

“Obviously I do… It’s just that… This feels too real…”

“That’s because this is real! I’ve missed you so much sweetie.”

I was scared and really did not understand what was going on, but at the same time, I never wanted the moment to end.

“I’ve… missed you too. Why… uh… are you… here?”

“Well, I’ve been seeing what’s happening with London.”

“Oh” I said.

“And, I’ve been seeing what you were planning to do for her” he continued.

“Oh” I said again, out of lack of a better response.

“I know that you are scared about it, though, and I understand why you would be.”

He stopped talking as if he was waiting for me to say something, but I was silent. I did not know what to say. So, he resumed.

“Look Paris, I just want you to know that you should do it. You should donate your bone marrow to London. She needs it, and right now, you are her only hope— you can save her life. I know how much you care about and love her, and that you would do anything for her, so don’t let your fear stop you. I promise, everything will be alright. I’ll be there with you every step of the way. I know that you will make the right decision. I love you, Pari.”

I woke up, alone in my room, tears rolling down my cheeks. My decision was made. I knew what I had to do.