How To Land That Entry Level Position

How To Land That Entry Level Position

Sometimes applying for jobs can feel like a full time job.

65
How To Land That Entry Level Position
Perzon Seo

Every college student home for break dreads the phrase, "experience needed" when applying for a job. How is one supposed to gain experience, if experience is needed to start? You have to begin somewhere, right? Cut to me during my sophomore year of college: two unrelated internships, and three random jobs later, I felt as if I had work experience in getting work experience.

Attempting to gain entry into a new job, especially a seasonal one meant for summer cash, is a job in and of itself. It requires hitting the pavement in the most traditional sense, printing resume upon resume, and of course, several neatly ironed blazers and a salesman smile (teeth whitening strips don't hurt either).

Finding educationally relevant employment while in college felt impossible. Who would want to hire a college sophomore with "childcare" written as their only employment experience? You can't exactly include managing crazed family members, being a professionally moody teenager, and "I swear babysitting nine children at once is harder than you'd think."

And then there's the issue of maintaining continuity between your sporadic summer jobs. It's difficult enough to get someone willing to work around a college break schedule, let alone have the jobs be in similar areas.

Looking For A Job Should Be A Full-time Job

My first winter break home from college was spent hounding retail stores, restaurants, and small businesses for a part-time summer job. Finally, I was hired as a server at a restaurant in my local mall. They flat out told me that the reason I was hired was that my father had come in before me and nagged them about hiring me.

There's a super terrific confidence booster. I took that as an opportunity to prove my worth as my own person, and proceeded to waitress with everything that I had (coincidentally, something that isn't too difficult as long as you're polite and efficient).

Summer break came and went, and I thoroughly enjoyed my new job, unflattering apron and all. I left for school again in the fall, participated in a blogging internship I had procured during the summer, and came back to the same restaurant again during my December break.

Blogging for a PR firm and waitressing isn't exactly closely related. I had finally broken into the working world (twice) and gotten a taste of the revered official "job experience," outside of changing diapers. However, as I started looking for a new place to work come next summer, my two jobs were considered too random.

I felt as if I couldn't win. Did my bright purple hair clash with my blazer (it was a phase, let's leave it at that). Was my handshake not firm enough, were my teeth too white and the glare was blinding those interviewing me?

Tip #1: While looking for a job should be your main focus, it is important to abide by the quality, not quantity rule of thumb. Make sure that you have an honest handle on your qualifications and shortcomings. Just because you apply to thirteen jobs in two hours does not mean you are guaranteed a call back from any of them. Apply to positions that are realistic with your prior experience (or lack thereof), and make sure that you tailor your resume and cover letter to indicate your skills that would be applicable to the specific positions you’re applying for.

I applied to the blogging internship because I knew they were looking for college students engaged heavy writing-based curriculum, and used that to my full advantage. I had three professors write me letters of recommendation and submitted just as many sample pieces for the recruiter to review.

I knew that my lack of office experience was not in my favor, but that the requirements for the position could be achieved with the writing experience I had from college, if I got the change to properly display it. The job application did not request references or writing pieces, but I attached them as part of my resume regardless as an added attempt to get my foot in the door.

Use the Resources You Have Present

My father is a partner at a recruiting/consulting firm, and so I asked him what I should do. The proceeding conversation leads me to realize that my father was capable of doing more than just nagging me about cleaning my room and being nice to my sister, and could actually offer sage advice (occasionally).

His response to my exasperated and emphatic, "what do I dooo?" was a simple lesson in how to give a sales pitch. You need to be a self-salesman first. Any experience can be turned into work experience if you know how to convert the lessons it taught you eloquently (for those interviewing you), and personally (for your own success at the job). I could turn my experience babysitting for a family of nine into a speech about my endless patience.

My experience as a blogger? A semester-long lesson on the art of the quick write-up. And waitressing? I can handle any cranky customer you throw at me with a blinding smile and a cheery "Yes Ma'am."

Tip #2: Employers often ask candidates to list a time they overcame a difficult problem in the the workplace. Being able to answer this question without hesitation is paramount. My “workplace” experience was sparse, at best, before my sophomore year of college. Yet I knew this would be an important question to nail if I wanted to get an internship in college. I spent about two hours writing down all of my work and life experience and figuring out how I could work those instances to my advantage when answering that question.

You’d be surprised the lessons that can be found in the experiences you have already conquered. Your life experiences speak volumes about your character and work ethic.

You Are Your Best Asset

Experience is important, but nothing can beat the art of a good sale. The work experience you put on your resume is a great first indicator, but similar to SAT scores and IQ in terms of grades, it is not the final say in how well you will do. That comes from personal drive and dedication.

Yes, your clothes should be dry-cleaned, and your resume strong, but your handshake should be firmer, and the self-confidence in what you can achieve, even stronger. You are your best tool for an interview. Trust in your experiences to give you the knowledge you need to power your way to success.

Tip #3: I have never considered myself an excellent orator by any means. But there are hundreds of hours of coaching videos on youtube that can help take your personal sales pitch to the next level.

Google is your best friend when it comes to public speaking do’s and don’ts, and nothing can beat having a friend listen to your personal sales pitch before you start pounding the pavement and using it on potential employers. You want to sound as polished and confident as possible when speaking to potential employers.

In the business world, not every rejection is firm. My mistake in accepting the dismissals from previous places that I had applied to, is that I didn't try hard enough to sell myself to the company. I managed to achieve work experience without any prior exposure, and that is the most difficult part of the game.

Once you get the ball rolling, nothing should stop you from reaching your destination. Put away your beer pong table, get a new suit, and make sure to practice, practice, practice your personal sales pitch, because if you don't believe in yourself, who else will?