Sorority Rush: Perks For Guys Too

Sorority Rush: Perks For Guys Too

11
Sorority Rush: Perks For Guys Too

I love being a student at UK. There’s no doubt about it that I’ll bleed blue until the day I die. What I love even more than that is the fact that I joined a Greek organization as well. I honestly don’t know how I would have survived if I didn’t go through rush. Since going through pledgeship and entering into a whole new world, I have gone from a total newb freshman to a seasoned vet in Greek life. With two years of experience under my belt and now headed into my third year, I’ve gained some knowledge about the perks of being a Greek in the heart of BBN. 

Here at UK, there are two things guaranteed: good ol’ Dr. Cap won’t cancel class until Hell freezes over and stays that way for a while, and the always entertaining sorority rush week will roll around once a year. 

It’s a week of absolute torture for the girls, filled with sore feet, sadness when cut from their favorite house, and tears of joy when given a bid to the house they suicided. The girls like to refer to it as their Hell Week. It sounds terrible, but as far as I’m concerned, I get to sit back, relax and enjoy the show. For a whole week, these girls get themselves poofed, primped, and perfect in the hopes of getting into their desired sorority. All the while, these girls are cut off from all contact with boys. Don’t get me wrong, fraternity rush is fun and all, but I’m just not a fan of putting on a big fake smile and flirting with boys for a week. Not to mention I don’t get to gape at hordes of gorgeous girls walking around around in little sundresses all day.

Both types of rush have their perks, but I have to say that I prefer sorority rush for several reasons. 

For those of us who have lived in Lexington over the summer, we all know that campus is dead expect for the few number of friends we can manage scrounge up on the weekends. Though it just doesn’t compare to campus life during summer, it all becomes worth it when rush week rolls around. Some people even come up to school a few weeks early just to witness the spectacle that is sorority rush. One of the main reasons is plain to see. When else can you watch literally hundreds of girls parade across sorority row at one time? Seriously, who doesn’t like a girl in a dress? It might be a crime to not stop and admire a pretty lady in a dress. One other reason that comes to mind is the last day of the week: Bid Day, aka White Dress Day (sorry to harp on the dresses). Take a stroll through campus and you’ll see a huge party raging on every sorority house’s front lawn. Girls dancing with their letters and taking ungodly amounts of pictures make for a scene that can’t fully be described without witnessing it firsthand.

There’s not a single bad mood on campus. One other reason that speaks for itself for the most part goes along with something I mentioned earlier. The girls on both sides of rush have been cut off from male contact for an entire week. As part of the sheer excitement and lack of male presence, the end of the girls’ rush week has created a situation that someone with the looks and charm of Napoleon Dynamite has just as much of a chance as Fabio would. So, with me being closer to the Napoleon Dynamite side of the spectrum, I think it’s safe to say I’ll be taking a frat-lap or two during that week. Watch out, ladies.