We Said Goodbye To Our Favorite Mafia 10 Years Ago

"The Sopranos" ended 10 years ago but they still remain an iconic family.

15
The Hollywood Reporter

Ten years ago from this past weekend, "The Sopranos" aired its controversial finale. It’s hard to believe the show has been absent from television for a decade; fans still can’t get over—spoiler alert—the “whacking” of Adrianna, the powerful and moving scene where Anthony Junior attempts to take his own life and of course, the classic debate to the great question: is Tony Soprano dead? All in all, the show is considered to be, perhaps, the most revered and revolutionary television series of all time. Looking back, there are several factors that contributed to the reputation and love for this impactful show.

Being an Italian American growing up in North Jersey, the introduction to the show is a masterpiece in itself. The first time I viewed "The Sopranos," I loved the fact that I could point out places I had been to in the intro. From the Holland Tunnel, the scenic New York skyline, the curvy New Jersey Turnpike, the desolate, marshy Meadowlands and the local mom and pop Italian delicatessens, any native New Jerseyean would instantly fall in love with this cinematography.

One instance of these familiar locations comes in season two. Owing a great deal of money to Tony, one small business owner attempts to settle his debt through a series of poker games. Ironically, this small business, believe it or not, was Ramsey Outdoor. Ramsey Outdoor is a local chain that specializes in selling outdoor clothing, gear and camping equipment. Watching this on HBO was very cool; the two Ramsey Outdoor locations are within two miles from my house. In a way, I felt closer to the show than a lot of other viewers; it’s a weird feeling to express. The choice of location and physical shots were great, and I think the sense of what is depicted really resonated with me throughout the series.

Not only is the cinematography great, but the acting is superb across the board. As I mentioned earlier, the scene where Anthony Junior, or AJ, attempts to commit suicide is hard to watch; however, it is James Gandolfini’s following actions that really hit home. Drowning in their backyard pool, Anthony cries out for help, just as Tony arrives home. Realizing what was going on, Tony runs toward the pool and leaps into the frigid waters, completely forgetting it’s winter. The face Gandolfini portrays says it all: utter disbelief. "The Sopranos" has been praised for its incredibly deep acting throughout the series’ eight-year run. This scene in particular highlights the delicateness of AJ’s condition regarding his depression. Tony rescues his son and holds him in his arms, assuring AJ is safe and calling him his “baby.” After a tumultuous, botched suicide attempt, AJ and Tony experience a solemn, heartfelt father and son moment. Given Tony’s violent habits, this vivid view on family really cuts to the core of audiences, and further solidifies the degree of performances in the series.

Not only are the familiar sights and acting vital to the show's success, but the writing, especially symbolism, is carried on throughout the entirety of the show. In the very first episode we see Tony mesmerized by a family of ducks in his pool. These ducks pop up numerous times in other episodes and seasons; Tony is very protective over them and goes to great lengths to ensure they are thriving, sometimes buying birdseed to keep the animals enticed. It’s this kind of care for the ducks that is noteworthy. Tony is a man of many things, including a family man. He protects his own whether his actual family is in trouble, or his business “family” is in need. These ducks represent Tony’s family and how he goes above and beyond to make sure everyone is safe and accounted for. David Chase, the creator of the show, consistently displays the ducks at intervals throughout the show’s run. Their appearances coincide with Tony’s sense of family, and Chase has always made that evident.

At first glance, The Sopranos might not seem like your average family. Lying, cheating and violence are strewn throughout their relationships, yet there are instances when we the audience are reminded that they are just like any other family. David Chase’s mafia drama is perhaps the greatest television show of all time, and there are multiple moving parts in the machine that make up the show. The scenery, acting and hidden themes and meanings truly add to the overall persona of the series.

Obviously, Chase and the cast succeeded because here we are, ten years later, and we are still talking about the controversial ending. Yet, it’s not just the ending that people talk about. "The Sopranos" covered many controversial topics in its day and was responsible for many influential scenes and beliefs. In a way, the show spoke to everyone differently and connected with various people. Ten years later, I still find myself watching an episode every now and then to reconnect with my favorite dysfunctional family; I can’t help but think that this is exactly how David Chase wanted it to be, even after all these years.