I Don't Have A Plan For Sophomore Year, And That's Perfectly OK

I honestly just thought I'd be a kid forever.

85

I am officially a sophomore at the University of Delaware. Those words feel weird coming from my brain and mouth. For some reason, I never thought I would say those words and that I would be a kid forever.

With recently turning 19 and becoming more of an adult everything is hitting me all at once. It's kind of overwhelming, but really exciting at the same time because I am becoming an adult and I am getting more responsible and mature at the same time. I still want to be a kid forever, but I know that's actually impossible even in my wildest dreams.

Sophomore year is going to be slightly different than freshman year for me. All for the very fact that I am going to be a second-year student at a school, and I won't be babied and forced to join clubs and organizations around campus. I am on my own, my RA won't be taking us around campus and giving us tours like they did when I was a freshman. I didn't remember any of that because I was so overwhelmed trying to meet everyone on my floor, but I know it happened.

I have over 30 credits, and I am getting into the specifics of my major while still taking some general education classes. I am in a couple of clubs and I am doing research while taking 17 credits this semester. That's a lot, and as for my plans beyond that, I have none.

I do not have any plans for my social life sophomore year. I like it that way because if I plan on keeping in touch with all of the people I became friends with last semester, it would be chaotic. Not in the number, but in trying to find the time with the stuff that I definitely have this semester.

Grades are imperative to me. If I want to work at my desired school district when I am done with college, then I need to get a high GPA. If I want to get into the grad school of my choice, I need to maintain an even higher GPA than my desired school district. My future career and path are on the line here and my grades are nowhere where I want them to be.

Trust me, I know that having a social life is important and I will make time for friends this year. I need to or else I will go insane and I will over exert myself. It's just the people that are supposed to stay in my life, I will reach out to naturally or they will reach out to me if they want to stay in my life.

As well as I am going to meet new people and I am going to make more friends. The semester barely started, and I already have made more friends. I've met people so similar to me, it's weird but I am so grateful for them because they're awesome human beings. These people fell into my life naturally, and I didn't force anything.

Life should be natural, and you should work hard, but don't force friendships that aren't there in the first place. That's why I don't have a plan for my social life, I am going to see whoever I see, and I am going to bond with who I naturally bond with.

That's the crazy part about life, we don't know where it's going to take us, and I want to embrace this year. I want to cherish the moment. Going into freshman year, I had a plan and that plan failed so I freaked out. This year I am not going to make that mistake again, and I am just going to go wherever the wind blows me.

That's why I don't have a plan going into sophomore year. Whatever happens, happens and I am totally okay with that.