Sophomore Year Gratitude

Sophomore Year Gratitude

That dang 'Gonzaga Community' <3

3
Sophomore Year Gratitude
Adriana Marrero

As the school year comes to a close, there's always that reaction of "THANK GOD" because you really didn't think you'd make it to the end of finals week but there's also that realization in which basically a whole year of your life just passed by, and it seems much faster than you thought it was. You had challenges and successes, but I think a college student's sophomore year is more special than we think it is, and here's why.

First, I think one of the best parts is the way in which you feel like a part of your school, and everything is just grand. You don't get lost trying to find that class in the one building no one ever goes to, and you know you need to show up hours early to get in line for basketball tickets, and not on time. You know how things work, and school is still a fun and exciting place.

Next, is definitely that sophomore slump part. While I don't think I experienced it quite as badly since I left in my spring semester to study abroad, I think everyone kind of gets tired of the studying since now you have the idea of how college classes work, but the material only seems to grow exponentially harder. While it's tough to make it through, reminding ourselves of how expensive each class you take is a pretty good place to start.

But of course, the best part has been the people. Finishing freshman year, it seems like you have everything figured out, you know exactly what you're doing, and your friends are perfect. And while that's true, the number of incredible people I've been lucky enough to meet, remind me each and every day why I'm happy that I picked Gonzaga.

Human beings are regenerative, and are incredible at falling down and making mistakes, but we never fail to pick ourselves back up and continue on, often better and stronger than before. While we aren't always nice, experience heartbreak, doubt ourselves in self-confidence, or find ourselves at a loss of what to do next, I've been surrounded by overwhlemingly intelligent, kind, well-adjusted people who are the most unique and inspirational people I have ever met, and for that, sophomore year, I thank you.

Thank you for teaching me perseverance, coming back from those mistakes, showing me I'm capable of more than I think, giving me a home on the other side of the country, but most importantly, granting me the opportunity to meet people who truly make you love life.

Gonzaga, you rock.