Sony's New Reward Program Is Now Letting You Earn A Profit When You Play Their Games And Win In-Game Trophies

This is the first time console gamers have had the opportunity to get paid for the countless of hours grinding.

80
Pixa Bay

Today, video games are becoming more accessible to a broad audience, whether its flappy birds on your iPhone or call of duty of your PlayStation. The best part about this accessibility is the fact that as technology advances, these video games continue to deliver a unique customer experience.

However, Sony just released a new rewards program that grants PlayStation owners monetary reimbursement, in digital form, for earning in-game trophies. This could potentially be a historic development for Sony as this has never been seen on a home console.

Considering all the micro-transactions that have riddled the gaming industry, Sony’s new reward system is a breath of fresh air for gamers.

According to Ashley Jenkins from The Know, Sony’s newly launched rewards program allows PlayStation owners to receive points for their silver, gold, and platinum trophies that can then be redeemed for actual currency. PlayStation owners earn trophies by accomplishing certain milestones in a game that can sometimes take several hours. Silver trophies are moderately hard for gamers to obtain, gold trophies are hard for gamers to obtain, with platinum trophies being extremely hard for users to obtain. Ashley Jenkins from The Know explained that the new rewards program would grant gamers 1 points for every silver trophy earned, 10 points for every gold trophy earned, and 100 points for every platinum trophy earned. For every 1,000 points earned by the gamer Sony will reward them with $100.00 dollars in digital currency that can be spent in the PlayStation Network. Considering that Sony has struggled with network security, it is vital that Sony takes a gingerly approach to this industry changing rewards program.

While this new trophy reward system doesn’t accurate to massive monetary incentives, this is still the first time console gamers have had the opportunity to get paid for the countless of hours grinding. The Know also noted that on order for PlayStation owners to receive any reimbursement for a trophy they must be signed up for the rewards program prior to receiving the trophy. Unfortunately, this means the hundreds of trophies you put your blood, sweat and tears will not be applicable for reimbursement. Considering the launch of the Xbox One X and the success of the Nintendo Switch in its first year, this should enable PlayStation to maintain the dominance it has had in this generation of gaming thus far. With the gaming industry power houses staying in constant competition with one another, Sony’s new trophy reward system will hopefully be revolutionary in the fact that it sparks a new customer experience that will be available across all gaming platforms.

At this point is curious as to who will be the first company to put their spin on Sony’s gamer-friendly service.