SonReal Took The Windy City By Storm On His One Long Dream Tour

SonReal and Blaque Keyz are building their audience from the ground up and it is inspiring.

52
Ben Justice

While attending Illinois State, it can be frustrating when an artist I really like is performing in Chicago and I’m unable to attend. Luckily, SonReal and Blaque Keyz were performing in Chicago over my Thanksgiving break. I immediately knew I needed to go and see them perform again. The last time I saw them live was on the first leg of Jon Bellion’s The Human Condition Tour. I was very surprised by how great of a performance they put on during that first leg. I knew that I could not miss this show because it would be legendary. Sure enough, I was right!

When I first heard about the SonReal tour hitting Chicago, it was unknown that Blaque Keyz would be tagging along. Keyz just finished up the third leg of The Human Condition Tour and I was surprised to hear that he would be joining SonReal. I was already excited for the show but this news made me wishing I was at the show already. Fast forward to the night of the show at Schubas in Chicago’s north side. Blaque Keyz took the stage, it was easy to tell that he had some fans in the audience. They were very hyped up for Keyz to be there and performing. He performed track after track showing off what he can do on the mic. Keyz performed several tracks off his most recent album, titled “HeistBoX.” In addition to these songs, he performed a new track which was some of the best music I’ve heard from him. He starts off his verse by saying “Back inside the booth I’m feeling wonderful, already made a classic this is number two.” He goes on to deliver a very lyrical verse that will leave listeners impressed when it drops! After his performance, I told him that the new track was insane and he said: “It’s coming soon.” Be on the lookout for that!

Now it was time for the headlining set from SonReal. The audience was chanting his name over and over during the transition between sets. These people came out for a real show and that’s exactly what they got! Keyz put on a great performance and had the vibes going just in time for SonReal to perform. The first time I saw SonReal perform, I could not believe how much energy this guy had on stage. I was so impressed because he was up there being wild and having a blast. I knew nothing would change with the performance he was about to put on. As SonReal walked on stage, it was clear that he was feeding off of the energy in the audience. He mentioned it several times throughout the show that he was absolutely loving it. He went up there and performed his heart out. My favorite songs to see were Repo Man, Can I Get a Witness and My Friend. I really enjoyed how SonReal was not afraid to show a different side of himself to the audience. The song “My Friend” is a new track of his that serves as a tribute to his Father. It was incredible to see him up there headlining his own show in Chicago.

There’s nothing better than being apart of an artists’ come up. From seeing them at small venues to watching them grow into bigger venues. Blaque Keyz and SonReal are building their audience from the ground up and it is inspiring. SonReal just announced another leg of his One Long Dream tour which will hit parts of Canada and the United States. Both of these artists are too talented to not keep your eye on. Stop sleeping, start listening!