Through the low points of our lives, it's easy to get wrapped up in sappy, sad tunes that only bring us further into depression (of course there is still a time and place for this). However, at some point, everyone needs to pull themselves out of the funk. No matter how bad my day is going, these songs have improved my mood with a 100% success rate.

1. "The Long Way Around" by The Dixie Chicks

The theme song for when life isn't going as planned and for periods of finding yourself.

Well I fought with a stranger and I met myself. I opened my mouth and I heard myself. It can get pretty lonely when you show yourself. Guess I could have made it easier on myself, but I could never follow.

2. "Bravado" by Lorde

A slow-burning, confidence boosting track.

I was frightened of every little thing that I thought was out to get me down, to trip me up, and laugh at me. But I learned not to want the quiet of the room with no one around to find me out.

3. "Sit Still, Look Pretty" by Daya

You get off on your nine to five dream of picket fences and trophy wives, but no, I'm never gonna be, 'cause I don't wanna be. No, I don't wanna, "sit still, look pretty."

4. "Another State" by Tigers in the Sky

I don't wanna waste no more time living out someone else's life. I just wanna take back what's mine. My heart's been longing for life.

5. "Eclipse (All Yours)" by Metric

Under every scar there's a battle I've lost. Will they stop when they see us again? I can't stop; Now I know who I am.

6. "Hell No" by Ingrid Michaelson

Somehow the perfect combination of a "screw you" kind of rage and apathy all wrapped up into 2 minutes and 55 seconds of empowerment. I apologize to the people who may have witnessed me jamming my heart out to this one at stoplights.

I get it. Whatever. But am I gonna miss you? Hell no.

7. "Goodbye Earl" by The Dixie Chicks (because I can't choose just one Dixie Chicks song)

I have put plenty names in place of "Earl" on long car rides. What a great song for embracing the fact that you deserve to stand up for yourself without feeling any guilt whatsoever.

Weeks went by and spring turned to summer and summer faded into the fall. And it turns out he was a missing person who nobody missed at all...and they don't lose any sleep at night 'cause Earl had to die.

8. "Simple As This" by Jake Bugg

I been in search of stones making up the pavement of less traveled roads.

9. "Little Red Wagon" by Miranda Lambert

A sassy track involving a woman who is unapologetically herself regardless of the people who don't "get" her. This song always leaves me feeling like 5'4" of feisty.

...but that's just who I be and you're just trying to slow this rolling stone, but I'm on to you babe.

10. "Reflections" by Misterwives

The tune simply sounds happy in itself. The lyrics bring closure and freedom in slamming the door on any negative forces in one's life, regardless of unfinished business.

Put me on a shelf; Discipline myself to let these sparks die out. Shattering anything that has reflections of you.

11. "Roses" by The Chainsmokers

Though I have no particular attachment to the lyrics of this song, some sort of combination of perfectly timed snaps and bass drops always leaves me feeling uplifted.

Deep in my bones I can feel you. Take me back to a time when only we knew hideaway.