12 Songs That Bring Back Memories

Every Song Comes With A Story...Here's Mine

12 songs that bring back memories.

112

From pressing shuffle on my Spotify playlist filled with my favorite classic songs to the song that comes on at the most random times that always seems to get me in my feels, each song comes with a story and reminds me of some of my favorite times in my life, or even just a funny memory. Featuring Tracy Chapman, James Taylor, Imagine Dragons and everything else in between, here are 12 songs that I cherish, never fail to jam out to and maybe even tear up a bit, too.

1. Tracy Chapman - "Fast car"

This past year at college, I have played this song whenever I miss my family or just need a comforting song when homesickness creeps up on me. My mom and dad listened to this song while on a road trip before kids cruising from Maryland to Illinois in my dad's "red rocket," aka his fast car, Pontiac Grand Trans Am.

2. James Taylor - "Carolina in My Mind"

Ever since I was little, my dad would play James Taylor CDs while in the car. Once again, it made for the best road trips. In 2016, my mom, brother and I surprised my dad with tickets to see him live in concert where we could jam out to our favorite songs, including "Carolina In My Mind" in person.

3. The Lumineers - "Ophelia"

Every time I hear this song, sitting on a boat with our family friends, the Otto's, in the middle of Glen Lake in Glen Arbor, Michigan comes to mind. It reminds me of good times spent with good people in one of my favorite places.

4. Greta Van Fleet - "Black Smoke Rising"

I will never forget tag teaming while doing the dishes and jamming out to this new genre of music that my brother Jeremy introduced me to. Ever since then I love listening to Greta Van Fleet and always think of Jeremy when any of their songs play.

5. Jaime Atkins - "Senior Year"

Playing this song on the way to my senior year homecoming football game with my fellow homecoming court nominee, Abby Taylor in the passenger seat had us getting in our feels about finishing our last year of high school. Bittersweet.

6. Dixie Chicks - "Long Time Gone"

Another classic CD known to be played during the Faletto family road trips. It is rare for me to hear this song in public or hear someone else talking about the Dixie Chicks, but when it or they are recognized, I have to text my family group chat and notify them about the monumental moment.

7. Wilson Phillips - "Hold On"

Maybe this song reminds you of the ending scene of "Bridesmaids" or this is your first time hearing it. No matter what, it is a classic and happens to be one of my mom's favorites. With that being said, it makes sense for this song to be included on this list because of how much I love my mom and our dance parties.

8. Capital Cities - "Kangaroo Court"

Throwback to my freshman year of high school, lucky enough to have a brother who was a senior at the time and could be my chauffeur to school every day. This song was our favorite at the time and always made our 7-minute drive to school worthwhile.

9. Imagine Dragons - "Natural"

I can hear the kiddos I babysit say "Gabs play natural!" which is usually followed by a kitchen dance party. Going away to college not only made me miss my family and my friends, but the families I babysit for will always have a piece of my heart. Whenever I hear this song, it makes me grateful for all the memories I've made with my favorite kids the past few years.

10. Maren Morris - "80s Mercedes"

When I got my license, my dad was in the process of buying a new car. I was able to drive his used 2006 Mercedes Benz. He and I both fell in love with this song when it came out, and I would replace the lyrics "...I am a 90s baby in my 80s Mercedes..." with "...I am a 00 baby in my 06 Mercedes."

11. The Head and the Heart - "Missed Connection"

Flashback to driving home for spring break my pals Olivia and Tess. We took the wrong exit but were determined to get back on track using a different route. Well, this route ended up turning to a gravel road with no service for 9 miles. This Head and the Heart song came on and fit the mood perfectly.

12. Gotye - "Somebody That I Used To Know" (feat. Kimbra) 

When this song first came out, it was playing on the radio every time I got in the car. My brother and I sang it to our mom who was immediately hooked and fell in love with it. I can perfectly visualize us driving down the winding road in our town singing this song at the tops of our lungs.