Sometimes it Doesn't Quite Feel Like Christmas

We've All Been There: Sometimes, It Just Doesn't Quite Feel Like Christmas

OK, guys, it's finally here. The turkey is gone, December has arrived, and it's finally the Christmas season.

25

Every year once Christmas rolls around, it seems to me that it was only a few months ago. Ironically, though, I've been anxiously awaiting it all year. Regardless, here I am. In the midst of post-Thanksgiving final projects and exams (the sad reality that awaits every college student), I'm shopping for my family and friends.

It didn't quite register with me that this Christmas season had begun until I heard my the first after-Thanksgiving Christmas carol while grocery shopping once the leftovers were gone. There I was at the register, scoffing at the music because we hadn't even eaten our turkey... until I realized that we had. It was, in fact, finally appropriate to be playing those tunes. So, I began to embrace the Christmas spirit, hum along, and I went back to buy myself some cutesy decorations… until I stepped outside.

Now, Florida is a state notorious for throwing its residents for a loop when the Winter season begins, and as a former resident of Ohio, I can say that I still haven't quite adapted to the 50+ degree temperature gap between the states during Winter. Don't get me wrong, I am overly thankful for the Florida weather on a nearly daily basis every other week of the year, but I will never lose my love for a good old-fashioned cold Christmas.

Because it's been engrained in my mind since a young age that a "White Christmas" is a real Christmas, I haven't quite felt the same around this season since I moved.

Now, not everyone experiences weather-driven setbacks when it comes to embracing the Christmas spirit, but I know I'm not alone in fighting the familiar with the feeling that it "just doesn't feel like Christmas," so let's face the facts together:

When we're growing up, the Christmas season is simply unmatchable. It's filled with cheer, candy, cookies, presents, our favorite movies, extra time with our family, and more. At a point in life when we know so little about the responsibilities and work that goes behind creating such a spirit-filled atmosphere, Christmas truly feels like the best time of year.

Once adulthood begins to set in, it's normal to feel like the magical feeling of the Christmas season is dulling down. Whether you're in school, working to make your own money, living away from home, or all of the above, you likely have a reason that's contributing to these types of feelings. You can buy a Christmas tree, bake cookies, hang lights, and listen to Christmas carols all month long, but sometimes that feeling that it just doesn't feel like Christmas still lingers in the background.

We can commiserate together, but there can still be excitement in your changing feelings toward Christmas. You're growing, and your life is progressing constantly. So, this Christmas season, embrace how far you've come since your days of the ultimate bliss of innocence. Most importantly, try to remember what the Christmas season is really about. Focus less on the "magic" you used to know, and more on embracing the holiday and all it brings. Spend time with your family, enjoy that old and familiar music playing all around you, gawk at the Christmas colors and warm lights, and enjoy the opportunity to give to the people you love.

Hang those lights, bake those cookies, and blast those tunes. When you start to remember the magic, feel the magic. When it doesn't quite feel like Christmas, look around and appreciate the season for all it brings. Enjoy it.