Sometimes, We Just Need A Break

Sometimes, We Just Need A Break

Why taking care of you is the most important thing.
40

It's finally here. Winter break. A whole month without assignments or tests or readings for that class that you can't stand. We finally have a chance to relax; to set aside our responsibilities of school and goof off. At least for a few days.

The hardest part, at least for me, of winter break is the break part. The hanging out, not having anything to do, and just healing. Healing from the stress and the anxieties that have come with the semester. Healing from relationships that seem to be broken and no way to fix them. Because being left alone with my thoughts, its a scary day.

But that's the point of a break. To not have anything to do. To just lay in bed, under our electric blankets, and waste the day away. Because when it comes down to it, the only thing we can be concerned about, is us. Our health. Our relationships. Our lives.

I've heard the phrase "You can't take care of other people if you don't take care of yourself," more times than I care to count. I used to laugh it off, saying I was the last one that needed a break, but as I've gotten older the more I realize that it's true. I cannot expect myself to be able to help or care for anyone else unless I help and take care of myself. Because when I looked in the mirror this morning getting ready for work, I saw someone with bags under her eyes and a very little fire in her spirit.

It's time we took a break. Who cares if it's an inconvenience to anyone, this is about us. Our mental health, physical health, and everything in between. It's about taking care of us before we start trying to care for the world. Because, believe it or not, our parents were right. If we overdo it, we won't ever be the person we want to be. We will be tired, and exhausted, and only be able to work to part of our potential, not all of it.

For those of you who like me, expected to keep pushing through and working this break, I ask you to reconsider. Reconsider taking even just a few days, and lay around! Put down the book, the laptop, what ever it is, and get into your bed. Get into your bed, and watch movies, or TV, or even Netflix. Read a novel, not research project. Cuddle with a pet or a loved one, just relax.

This is your break. Take it. You have earned a few days of vegging out, eating junk food, and lying around the house. Take a break my friends. You need it.